Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, Vista & XP install questions

• Please log in to reply

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, I just bought a new computer. It is coming loaded with Win XP Pro with re-install CD. I plan I buying the 64-bit edition of Vista and want to install XP Pro 32 bit and Vista Premium 64 bit. I know I will need to re-install XP in order to partition my drive for the Vista install.

Questions:

1. I have partitioned drives before at windows install, will I need to do anything special bc I plan on installing Vista?

2. Is there a way to partition the drive without re-installing XP?

3. My main HDD is a 150 GB 10,000rmp Western Digital gaming HDD. What would be the recommended partitioning?(my data HDD is 250 GB 7200 rmp, if that matters)

4. For programs that will run on both OS. Will I need to install 2 instances of the program on my HDD? ie. one install on drive c: for XP and one on drive d: for Vista.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Set up two partitions during XP Setup, leave the second half blank (raw) and install XP on the first partition. When you set Vista up it will do the dual-boot automatically.

2) Software such as Partition Magic can do it but you do run the risk with this type of software that it will make changes that could render the system unbootable afterwards.

3) However you like, it doesn't really matter.

4) Yes. One program into each version of Windows. They will not be interchangeable, however some programs will search for older versions and find the installation for the other versions of Windows and promptly get rid of it if you're not careful, so keep an eye out for that.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Cool thanks man, after I posted this I noticed the dual boot topic pinned at the top. Got most the info i needed there.

With the partitions tho, what would be the minimum amount of space I should have for each install of windows? I will prolly just do a 50/50 that way I have enough space on each drive for all the programs, seeing how I have to install two instances if I want to use it in bot vista and xp, I dunno, I am only using Vista for "Games for Windows" and 64-bit apps. So maybe I should leave more space on the XP drive... People tell me I over think to much, guess thats true.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry forgot to ask a question. I am shopping for Vista and have become a bit confused. I want Home Premium 64-bit, but the prices are all over the place.

Would it be bad to get the OEM ver?(I don't plan on installing on more than one pc but I would like to be able to re-install if something happens to my system)

Here are some links I am looking at... PLEASE ADVISE!!!1

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM - Your Price:$111.99

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders 3 Pack DVD - OEM - Your Price:$349.99

The only retail ver. I can find is the 32-bit but it says; "Disclaimer: Includes 32 bit DVD and information on obtaining 32 bit CDs or a 64 bit DVD, additional fees may apply." but then I cant find an option for the the 64-bit version. Link below.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium DVD - Retail - Your Price:$219.99

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Minimum space requirements for Vista is 10Gbs (but obviously you should give it more), and minimum for XP is 1.5Gbs.

OEM version will do the job you want, however you don't need the 3 Pack DVD, that is designed for people (and computer shops) who sell Vista onto other people, it's cheaper for them to buy it in packs of three than individually.

NeedMoDro

NeedMoDro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Minimum space requirements for Vista is 10Gbs (but obviously you should give it more), and minimum for XP is 1.5Gbs.

OEM version will do the job you want, however you don't need the 3 Pack DVD, that is designed for people (and computer shops) who sell Vista onto other people, it's cheaper for them to buy it in packs of three than individually.

Sweet, Thanks again. Thats what i figured the 3 pack was but I was not sure.

Just to be sure, I will be able to re-install if needed with the OEM ver. correct?

Does it contain all the same stuff as the retail ver? ie. drivers