Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32bit or 64bit? Help me decide.

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I'm soon going to start building a new PC and I want to know whether to go for the 32 or 64bit version of Vista. I want to put 4 gigs of RAM in the system but I heard that 32bit OS'es can only pick up 3gb. On the other hand I heard that the 64bit has some trouble with drivers? I want it to be as future proof as possible so some advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
32-bit Windows will only see 4Gb or not even that much. Driver support is huge and Vista probably knows what to do with the bulk of it anyway.
64-bit Windows can, depending on which version you go for, can see up to 128Gb of memory. Driver support is patchy and occasionally non-existent.

HotTub

HotTub

• Pip
  • 2 posts

can only pick up 3gb.

Do you really need more then 3 gig to run Vista properly?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Do you really need more then 3 gig to run Vista properly?

As long as you've got quality RAM running at good speeds/latencies, then 3GB should well and truly be more than enough. It does depend on what you use your computer for, though...

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Isn't it also true that most games or apps can not run 64 bit or run with errors?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Isn't it also true that most games or apps can not run 64 bit or run with errors?

Not strictly true though some (perhaps the vast majority) of legacy software will have issues under 64-bit Windows.
In the future though, all current software of the time would work under 64-bit Windows. When we eventually pass to a point where a need for 128-bit Windows would be needed, again 64-bit software would probably not work on it.