Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop freezes, computer still running

• Please log in to reply

Mr A

Mr A

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have windows vista home edition 32-bit, sometimes my desktop display will freeze but my computer will go on like nothings wrong and keep with its little humming noise...............other times it'll freeze and ill hear this repetitive beeping noise.

I checked problem reports and solutions in control panel and view problem history, i can see that one problem is "Video hardware error"; i have a gigabyte 8600gt, which i installed a half a year ago.

I have already tried he Windows6.0-KB938194-x86 hotfix which was spose to fix my display driver error, but it didnt.........

any ideas to how i can fix this problem???

Edited by Mr A, 11 September 2007 - 01:59 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
this is normally a driver issue. Have you gone to http://nvidia.com/ and updated your driver?

Mr A

Mr A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, i downloaded and installed the lastest ForceWare Driver ( http://www.nvidia.co...x86_162.22.html ) , but an hour later the problem occurred again.............??????

Edited by Mr A, 09 September 2007 - 03:18 PM.

Mr A

Mr A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its also happening more frequently; it happened 3 times in one hour, while i was watchin a movie :whistling:

Edited by Mr A, 09 September 2007 - 11:12 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what brand/model is your computer? did the 8600 video card come with it?

I'm leaning toward a hw issue as the typical fixes don't seem to be working.

Mr A

Mr A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its a HP Pavilion a6040a; i installed the gigabyte 8600gt myself, however i don't recall getting any freezes or problems until 3 or 4 months after i installed it.........