Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I have to go back to work now :)

Have fun, I'm thinking about sleep in 3 hours :)
James

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay look how close this is to the 10,000 mark - how can I get it there? I haven't done any tweaking or anything, I'm pretty excited I've just thrown this build together and it's cranking... :)

I'm going to clean out temporary files, defragment hard drive, kill all un-needed processes, and try again.

Would overclocking the processor help? How about the graphics card? I'm only talking the most minimal of gains, just enough to see me hit the 10,000 mark if I can.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Never mind, no overclocking needed. I did what I said (ATF cleaner, defrag, reboot, kill programs) and ran 3DMark06 again...

Look!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Does this make any sense to you? It looks like everything's running good, it just has downclocked my processor. It does that when my system is pretty idle for a while, that right? And it should be running at the 2.66GHz when I'm doing something heavy?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To quote myself from this topic:

This is due to SpeedStep. Nothing to worry about, though you may want to turn it off if you will be overclocking.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a heads up, I don't recommend you overclock till you understand how to use the BIOS (BIOS is better anyways). If you need any help just let me know as I'm familiar with the Gigabyte BIOS now.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, so I can see here that the RAM is running at 800MHz and 5-5-5-18 timings, if I raise the voltage on the RAM (I haven't yet) to 2.1V, will it allow me to access the lower timings? Currently the motherboard has defaulted to 1.8V on the DIMM's. On the sticks themselves, they are rated at 2.1V...

And what do you guys think about my 3DMark06 score? Is that pretty nice? What's some of your scores?

And by the way, the highest temperatures I've seen for my video card hover around the mid-high 70s Celcius :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
IMO, 3DMark06 is a synthetic benchmark, which are meaningless as we found out with the HD2900XT (as it kicks the GTX's butt in 3Dmark06, but not in games as we all know) so I have never run the thing, and I probably never will. :)

As soon as you enter BIOS press Ctrl+F1, then enter MIT and the options will be available, otherwise the memory timings will not be present. You could probably tighten the timings on that voltage, though no guarantee that it'll be stable (it likely won't should you go 4-4-4-12 on 1.9V).

James