Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

Dave1955

Dave1955

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, this is the first time I've posted here,and I thank you for any help you can offer. To begain I have an older IBM model#6648-TAU which had an upgrade version of XP on it sometimes it would take 5 to 7 times rebooting it before it would stabilize at desktop,as long as you would keep the machine running,you would have no problems,but when you shut it down and tried to restart then the headaches would begain,the systems been set up on my home network for months with a netgear wireless adapter,but allways having a hard time of connecting or when it did connect it did with a lower speed than exspected, so i went into device manager to disable it,when i did that the sytem froze up,and when i went to restart it,it would freeze up at desktop even in safe mode,attempting to enable the adapter again but it would freeze up before i could shut it down myself and restart to activate the adapter again,so with multibile attempts with no sucess I decided to reformat the drive and load Windows ME on it to re-install XP Pro upgrade,so I installed ME,and when ME starts,it freezes up at desktop like XP did before and as far as hardware I took it down to bare minunim,unlike before with xp I had a USB 2.0 PCI adapter card installed,with the netgear adapter atached,and before reformating and starting over again i also took all added hardware out to see if hardward was the problem,in fact this makes the second IBM system I've had problems like this with, the other system would just come up to desktop and reboot over and over,so if there would be any thing you guys could do to help with this it would be greatly appeciated :whistling:

Edited by Dave1955, 16 September 2007 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How much memory do you have in the machine? If it's only the original 128mb I would definitely add another 256mb of PC133 to it to get some kind of performance. Overall it's a pretty good machine for web browsing and such but your lack of memory may be a serious impairment.

Dave1955

Dave1955

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:wave: Thanks Tyger for your reply,and to answer your question on the system memory I have 512mg of 133mzh,(2) 256 sticks it also has a PIII 1gzh coppermine processor,and after i thought about this perticular machine I notice when i reinstalled ME to it and used fdisk to veiw the partition info I notice it said non dos patition in the info,maybe that contribs to having XP Pro on it first with a different format instead of Fat that cause it not to load,so right now I loaded Win 2000 but sorry to say the same results,rebooting over and over or hanging upat the screen right before desktop or at the desktop itself,I downloaded a program from IBM called PC Doctor it runs complete test from memory test to system board by the results from it it says its passed all test :) I have come to one conclusion in life about computers no matter what brand or OS or many with the same system boards"they all act differenly and unpredictable,so right now I'am going to find a win 2000 boot disk or windows 98 boot disk to run a scandisk on the drive,if iam correct i do for some reason suspect corrupt OS or something in that line of thought,and again if anything comes to your mind on this situation or anyone elses mind ,all respones are very welcome and very much appeciated :)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First, if you're installing a different operating system than the one on the machine it's best to remove all the old partitions and make new ones. Don't just reformat them, that leaves some old data on the partition and boot sector that may cause problems. You can download and run DBAN to a floppy or CD and it will completely write the drive to all zeros. This might be your best first step. Then put the installation disk in for whatever system you want. You have plenty of memory. One thing you might also want to do is run diagnostics on the hard drive, if you haven't already. Good luck.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can get boot disks from http://<span style='...isk.com</span>/.
You may have to wipe all partitions via the boot disk, then format using boot disk.
It is best to start completely fresh

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Dave1955
I would look at the motherboard and see if you have any blown capacitors.
They will be swollen or have stuff leaking from them.
Click on me
and
click on me
Cheers
Peterm