Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two million post thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

I didn't know, I can't read it anyway. Silly Hebrews, doing things backward, I don't know...

A lot of languages write backwards . In addition to that a lot of cultures call people by there last name too. If you call people by their first name in some cultures it is actually offensive if you do not know them well, and they have not given you permission to.

Actually, I've said people call me by last name, but it's not because it's customary to call people so by tradition - it's just that I have a quite unique last name and people have just started to call me so :)

And there's no 'Hebrew key', just Shift+Alt, and if I need to type something in Word I make sure I check the 'Right To Left' box.

Advertisements

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
at my school it's actualy something of the opposite... calling people by last name indicates familiarity since the typical custom is to call people by first name. 90% of the people don't know each others last names, so if you know somebody's last name it implies some level of deeper friendship :)

edit: missed this:

I don't pay attention to bands anyways. I just listen to what I want to listen too.

if sari hasn't seen that yet she'll be grinding her teeth when she does :)

I don't know what you are talking about. :)

on the chance that you were serious there, i was referring to your misuse of too at the end of your post. evidently the global grammar goddess let you escape THIS time

Edited by Transience, 17 October 2007 - 07:27 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

A lot of languages write backwards.

Does that mean you could say that English is the one that's really backward? :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I think the beauty of the American English language is the fact that we use words that have so many different meanings but are spoke and spelled the same :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What about Australian English? UK English? :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
There is no UK or Australian or American English (at least for me...) - they just spell favorite in different ways :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You mean favourite? :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

There is no UK or Australian or American English (at least for me...) - they just spell favorite in different ways :)

No no no. American English is definitely a beast of its own. There are tons of differences between UK and Australia. We Americans have taken everything and chopped it up and shortened it down. It was funny because I work with an immigrant from Mexico who learned English later in life, and learned it the proper way, sometimes we have trouble communicating because the "slang" I use from growing up here, he doesnt understand because he speaks English the correct way :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, surely there are differences when it comes to slang. I just think it's silly when you get a language choice in a website, for example, and it goes like:

Choose your language:

English (United Kingdom)
Englush (United States)
English (Australia)

FPVDriF6,

I'm lazy so I prefer shorter words, therefore I prefer American English :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a big fan of the letter U.....so i tend to stray away from the UK or aussie english....too many U's

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Whut? U don't like the lettur u? Whut is wrong with u? U must be crazy - u is a perfectly gude letter.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
lettur would have made the point across so much bettur

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I did write lettur duh furst time - sorry, I scruwed up un duh secund wun.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

I did write lettur duh furst time - sorry, I scruwed up un duh secund wun.

Sound like your from Boston, my old stompin grounds!

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
Wheyah did you pahk ya cah while theyah?