Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with USB card

• Please log in to reply

haphuong1712

haphuong1712

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've bought a PNY 2gb mini SD card to put into my MP4 player . When I put it in my MP4 player , it shows correctly the card so I thought it would work fine. But when I took it home , connected my mp4 player to my computer , and when I used the card on my computer (example : copy files.. <-- sorry 'bout my English) as it showed as Removable Disk , it turned to ask me if I wanted to format it . But every time I formatted , it just came to "windows was unable to complete the formatting" . I tried different computers but it just came to the same conclusion. How can I fix this problem ? :)

Advertisements

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Are you sure the sd isn't write protected.... in most cases the only reason why it would do this , is if it was write protected , stick it back in your camera and go through all the options and properties and make sure its not write protected ...

haphuong1712

haphuong1712

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I see no write protected , unfortunately :)

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
1. Find a computer with Windows98 (I think First Edition will work, but I used SE) and then download and install the driver for it (Windows98 requires a driver to read the drive). If you don't have W98, then go into XP. Control panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

2. Plug in the your Flash drive / Memory Stick

2b. The drive should appear, try and open it and get all your data off, if the drive doesn't appear there may still be hope (details later).

3. Format the drive as FAT32 under W98. Under XP right click under the flash drive letter. Ensure it is your flash drive, not your hard disk! You will lose all data when formatting.

4. Recopy your data back, and plug it into an XP machine (if using W98), it's fixed. Now if 98 didn't see the drive, there is an HP utility for formatting USB flash drives, do a search on these forums for HP and Sandisk and format and it will probably come up. Try that, if that doesn't work, I'd say there is a 90% chance your drive is hosed.

http://www.techspot....topic45834.html

haphuong1712

haphuong1712

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
There's no write protection with this kind of mini SD card
It looks exactly like this , without an adapter

Attached Thumbnails

• MINISD2GOPNY.jpg
  • pny_minisd.jpg

haphuong1712

haphuong1712

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

1. Find a computer with Windows98 (I think First Edition will work, but I used SE) and then download and install the driver for it (Windows98 requires a driver to read the drive). If you don't have W98, then go into XP. Control panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

2. Plug in the your Flash drive / Memory Stick

2b. The drive should appear, try and open it and get all your data off, if the drive doesn't appear there may still be hope (details later).

3. Format the drive as FAT32 under W98. Under XP right click under the flash drive letter. Ensure it is your flash drive, not your hard disk! You will lose all data when formatting.

4. Recopy your data back, and plug it into an XP machine (if using W98), it's fixed. Now if 98 didn't see the drive, there is an HP utility for formatting USB flash drives, do a search on these forums for HP and Sandisk and format and it will probably come up. Try that, if that doesn't work, I'd say there is a 90% chance your drive is hosed.

http://www.techspot....topic45834.html

ok well , I will find a W98 tomorrow, thanks for your help

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Your 1 picture shows "lock". Also I found this on a search.
http://wiki.answers...._a_mini_SD_card

I do not know if this will help, but its worth a try.

haphuong1712

haphuong1712

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well long time no check , i must say that i was so silly that i used my MP4 player to format my usb card instead of using an usb reader to do so , haha , so when i used an usb reader to format the usb card , and so on it works fine ! Even with an usb reader or with a Mp4 player . thanks for all ur help !