Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adaware and reboots

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bethq08

bethq08

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was working on an HP Windows 2000 professional computer that I was sure had quite a lot of spyware. It was running incredibly slowly and locking up continually. I ran Spy Bot and successfully deleted several pieces. Then I ran Adaware and it detected 48 additional pieces. However, after the scan, when click on the button to delete them, the computer reboots. I tried this several times and got the same result -- I could never delete the spyware. I have never encountered this problem before. In addition, when opened the program the program logo appeared very scrambled on the monitor. I adjusted the display settings with no help. That did not happen with any other program. I deleted Adaware and reinstalled it with exactly the same results. Do I have an Adawre problem, a cpu problem, a monitor problem or what.

I did run a complete virus scan with McAfee and it came out negative. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Guest_Corrine_*

Guest_Corrine_*
Hi, bethq08. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

If you still have access to that W2K machine, I would suggest reinstalling Ad-Aware SE again, but this time, please check to make sure all remnants have been removed as well, deleting any of the following that may not have been removed:

1) Click on my computer and navigate to the Lavasoft folder and delete it.
2) Delete the Lavasoft Ad-aware link in the start menu (if one is there)
3) Delete any desktop shortcut icon(s) for Ad-Aware.
4) Delete the Lavasoft folder in C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Lavasoft\
Note: As always, it is recommended that the registry be backed up prior to making any edits.
5) Open regedit and delete the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware
This key may also be there:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ad-aware
6) Empty the Recycle Bin
7) Reboot

If there are multiple users on the computer, you may want to check their accounts as well.

In addition, Ad-Aware SE may not function correctly if old versions are not removed prior to installing a new version or an upgrade. It wouldn't hurt to check for an old version on that machine.

You can get a new copy of Ad-Aware SE Personal from one of the following sites:

Download.com: http://www.download....page&tag=button
Major Geeks.com: http://majorgeeks.co...oad.php?det=506
CastleCops: http://castlecops.co...ads-cat-14.html

Please let us know how you make out.

bethq08

bethq08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will have access to the machine on Monday. I will try your suggestions. thanks.

Guest_Corrine_*

Guest_Corrine_*
You're welcome!

bethq08

bethq08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry to be so late. I have 150 computers to keep running and it does not hard sometimes. I tried what you suggested on the Windows 2000 computer with no luck. I know it has spyware. It is running very slowly and besides Ad aware finds it. I just cannot delete it. Any more ideas?

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Welcome!

If you need help, post Ad-aware logfile from "Full system scan".

Note; perform Webupdate- feature always before scanning your system, that way you are always up-to-date. At the moment SE1R42 28.04.2005 - definition file is the latest one.

Ad-Aware comes preconfigured with default options, so we need you to make one change. Deselect "Search for negligible risk entries"- setting, because mru-list's aren't considered as a threat. You can change this setting when selecting your scan type. Also, delete all tracking cookies just before scanning, they aren't a threat and just take space in your posts.

Select "Perform full system scan" and click next. When the scan has finished, click "Show logfile".

Then, copy & paste the complete scanlog here using Add Reply- feature. Don't quarantine or remove anything at this time, just post a complete logfile. This may take 2-3 posts to get it all here. You'll know when you are at the end when you see "Summary of this scan" information has posted.

When you have posted complete logfile from "Full system scan", we will tell you what to do.

Good day!

- Rawe :tazz: