Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista premium backup?

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i Hope someone can help a bit of a novice.I have just bought an Acer Aspire 7520 Laptop.The machine came without a recovery disc or operating system disc.I phoned Acer and asked what would happen if i was having a problem such as a virus being picked up and they told me that they no longer supply discs and that the o/s was in a separate partition and that it could not be accessed by any virus picked up on the net etc.I was told that i should backup the info on the machine.When i tried to do this ,hoping to burn a disc for safe keeping it tells me that it would back up to the hard disc.What i want to do is take a copy the system for any future probs as i don`t have any discs supplied.Is it possible to copy the o/p system to disc as well as i obviously have the code supplied with the machine?The reason being that should the hard disc go faulty after the g`tee period and i cannot boot up then it is a bit pointless having all the info on the hard disc and i can`t get to it.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Mechanic. welcome to the forum.
I assume you wish to make a backup of the Windows installation, as I'm sure you know already how to keep backups of your own files (these are in fact more precious than Windows since they are often irreplaceable).

First check in the list of programs (from the Start button) to see if there isn't a utility to create a set of master cd's from the backup partition. These, when created, will allow you to re-install Vista on to a new drive should the current one fail. I know Packard Bell provides such a utility on their machines, but not sure about Acer. Simply copying the contents of the backup partition to a DVD or several CDs will be no good since the PC won't know how to read the discs properly or what to do with them. You must do it by means of the master CD creation utility if one is supplied.

Edited by pip22, 24 October 2007 - 05:00 PM.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the reply pip22.Yes i was hoping to make a back up of the the Windows Installation.I have looked in the programmes available and don`t see anything there.I can back up folders etc and do a system restore but cannot seem to be able to create a master disc.Do you have any other ideas that might help?