Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safari Beats IE, Firefox in Browser Speed Trials

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A testing firm says that Apple's Safari browser is faster than rival browsers from Microsoft and Mozilla.

Safari is faster than rival browsers from Microsoft and Mozilla, a North Carolina Web testing firm said Wednesday -- putting proof to Apple Inc.'s June boast that its browser was the quickest.

Michael Czeiszperger, general manager of Web Performance Inc. of Durham, N.C., used his free time -- and some of WPI's tools -- to measure how fast the Windows versions of Apple's Safari, Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) and Mozilla Corp.'s Firefox 2 grabbed pages.

"I noticed that Apple used canned benchmarks, not actual load time measurements," said Czeiszperger, explaining why he timed the browsers.

More...

Ron

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I'm sorry, but last time I tried Safari on Windows, it was terrible, buggy, and didn't support Hebrew. I'll stick with Firefox.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I don't know about the Hebrew support, but have no problems running Safari for Windows. Just use it like the other browsers I have installed: to check web page layouts. FF is the browser to use since it is the only CSS2 compliant browsers out there! The extensions available makes it a very versatile browser.

Ron

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Safari? I've tried it.. never liked it much. I thought it was kind of unwieldy and hard to use. fx has nice extensions which are nice, and it's much nicer than Safari. (I'm very nicely redundant.)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Yeah well, Safari has the fancy interface but it crashed on me every couple of minutes. Firefox is good enough and like Ron said it's compatible with everything. Why switch? Safari offers nothing better, really.

It displayed Hebrew like, inverted, and that's bad, I can't really read the news like that :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

It displayed Hebrew like, inverted, and that's bad, I can't really read the news like that :)

Hah, bet someone didn't proofread the language pack. LOL Hope you reported the bug.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
[tone of seinfeld's elaine]Nooo I didn't :whistle:[/tone of seinfeld's elaine]

I didn't bother to report it. Our local Apple importer at that time was quite lazy and I'm sure they wouldn't support Hebrew. However, just recently (like 2 weeks ago), they changed the importer, now they're called iDigital, they are showing more activity in the local Apple scene, so who knows, one day we might as well get Hebrew support :) They're thinking of translating OSX to Hebrew.

Although we don't have similar trouble with Microsoft :) (I don't know if it's luck), they have a quite large R&D center here. Also we have low prices on Intel products, I think that's because most of the development is done here. Hm, well, who knows :)