Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scsi bios not installed

• Please log in to reply

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts

Is this on your friends machine still? Is the drive detected in the SCSI bios (setup utility)?

yes mam... on my friend's board, there's no problem with scsi bios and under scsi utility scsi hd id is 0, host adapter is 7... under device manager scsi adapter is there and no conflicts, but under diskmanagment, no scsi drive present...

[edit] oh and I also hooked my tape drive along with the hdd. scsi utility was not able to recognize it. only 2 device present... host and hd...

Edited by koko_crunch, 10 November 2007 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, try this:

1)Lose the tape drive for now

2) Make sure the scsi hard drive is on the end of the cable & also check the following jumper settings are set (your drive may not have all of these):
..Enable termination (unless the cable has active termination)
..Force SE mode
..Enable auto spin up

3) In the scsi setup utility, disable 'enable disconnection' (this setting should be re-enabled if you have 2 or more devices connected to the scsi card)
Set 'Enable host adapter termination' to Auto
Set 'Include in Bios Scan ' to Enabled
Set 'PnP Scam support' to disabled
Set 'Extended Bios translation for DOS drives > 1GB' to Enabled
Set 'Bios support for INT13 extensions' to enabled

Set if that makes any difference to the drive appearing in disk management

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts

..Enable termination (unless the cable has active termination)

how would i know if my cable has this?

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Also what would i use to set the jumpers? (don't know what its called)... can i use one similar to the IDE hdd?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the cable has active termination, then there will be a plastic rectangular terminator at one end of the cable. If you have a 50 pin cable (this looks like an IDE cable but wider) then there probably won't be an active terminator. If there is one, it will probably be removable. If you have a 68 pin cable (narrower than IDE cable & usually with black connectors) then you will almost certainly have active termination built into the cable.

Basically, the main thing is that it is terminated somewhere - either on the drive or on the cable. If you're still not sure about the cable terminator then just enable termination on the drive anyway.

The settings on the drive can usually be set using the same type of plastic jumper caps that you find on IDE drives.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Thanks Samm... Will try this and get back to you the next day or so...

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi Samm, I apologize for the delay, had to wait for my friend to finish his work before letting me try hooking the drive again... Good news! did the jumper setting on the scsi hdd and it showed on diskmgmt... converted it to dynamic then format it to ntfs... atleast now we know that the drive it working... If only we can make it work on my acer board... :)

question, the scsi drive makes a loud high pitched spinning noise. is this normal? also when I unhooked it, the drive was hot, it was running for about 5-10 minutes?

thanks Samm...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
SCSI drives are generally a bit noisier than other drives, although this will vary from one drive to the next. They also tend to run a bit warmer. If you felt the drive just after formatting it, then it's hardly surprising it would have felt hot!

The main reason for this is because they often spin faster than their IDE counterparts. For example, the average speed of an EIDE drive these days is 7200rpm. For a SCSI drive, it's 10,000rpm or even 15,000rpm. Your scsi drive is a bit older though so it may only be 7200rpm.

I have a 73GB 10,000rpm SCSI drive myself & yes, it is noisier than my IDE drives. I also have a drive cooler attached to it (a metal plate with 2 fans in) which screws on to the underside of the drive. If you feel your drive may be running too hot, then I'd recommend one of these. If you want to monitor the drive temps for a while first, then try running Speedfan:

http://www.majorgeek...ownload337.html

Edited by Samm, 15 November 2007 - 05:15 PM.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Thank you for replying Samm, really appreciate it... i will try speedfan as soon as i'm able to, can't go to my friend's house whenever i want to, the location is quite far from my house and I also have to consider the timing... hope you don't mind if my reply to this post takes a day or two... :)

About the acer board, i'm starting to thinking that it's faulty and would be only a waste of time trying to hook my scsi on it... would you agree? is there hope still?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries about waiting - I'm not around much this weekend anyway.

Re. the Acer board...
It's possible there's a fault with it, you could try testing some different PCI cards in the board to see if they have a problem as well. You mentioned that this is a server motherboard, right? Have you checked to make sure there isn't a SCSI connector actually on the motherboard itself? It's not uncommon for server board to provide SCSI as well as IDE onboard.

Advertisements

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hi Samm,

Again, sorry for the delay. I had to deal with OS and Networking issues on my own system, in the end had to reinstall windows to fix it.

I tried looking for the scsi controller (jumpers) to the best of my abilities but couldn't find it, that's why I put installed an old HDD on it for it work. Anyways, we can disregard getting the adapter back on the board since I already gave it to my cousin. My goal now is to make the scsi hdd and tape drive work on my friends machine (will give it to him when it does since I don't have a desktop computer).

Now, I tried hooking the tape drive and checked on my computer, wasn't there. Checked diskmgmt and found it under removable disk why is that? what are tape drives for anyways? Can I use it like a usb memory card or like a cd drive with tape being the medium of storage.

Also did the temp monitoring. here's the data

12mn
t1 30, t2 34, t3 32, hd0 33, hd1 111
1 am
t1 36, t2 36, t3 33, hd0 33, hd1 37

10 am
t1 35, t2 34, t3 29, hd0 25, hd1 111
2 pm
t1 37, t2 38, t3 36, hd0 35, hd1 111

should I be worried with the temp?

Thank very much Samm.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Re. the SCSI tape drive - it's perfectly normal for it to appear as a removable disk because that's exactly what it is! It's for the same reason that optical drives also appear as removable disks i.e the drive part (eg the CDROM drive or a tape drive) is fixed but the data is stored on removable media (eg CDs, tapes etc). Diskmgmt.msc is Disk Management (not drive management) hence it's only concerned with the media.

Tape drives are basically used for backup, primarily server backups. Their main advantage was (and still is), their data capacity - a few years ago tapes could hold a few gigabyte of data, currently they are available in sizes up to about 300GB, although this depends heavily on the type of tape drive you have. Backup to tape is not always the quickest method available but in server/network environments this often isn't a problem as the backup can simply be left running overnight.

You asked if you could use the tape drive like a CD recorder or USB flash stick...
It's probably got the most in common with DVDRW (or CDRW) in as much that both use re-writable media & are often used for backing up data. Bear in mind that USB flash sticks are not often used for backup purposes as they are far more suited to data transfer & temporary data storage. One of the main differences between tapes & optical media is of course the fact that tapes are sequential. In other words, you can insert a CD into a computer & the whole contents of the CD is visible & accessible immediately through Explorer or similar. Whereas a tape has to be spooled (same principal as a VHS video tape).

Re. the temps...
Obviously the only worrying temperature is the HD1 temp. That said, given that the reported temp is so high (111 C) & that the exact same temperature is reported 3 times out of 4, with the 4th temp being normal, I'm wondering if this is actually an erroneous reading.
You could try something like Everest as a comparison:

http://www.majorgeek...tion_d4181.html

When you run Everest, you'll see a menu on the left. Expand the 'Computer' branch & click on the 'sensor' option to get the temps.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Hello

Thank you for the explanation. I understood it better than others.

You said

Re.the SCSI tape drive - it's perfectly normal for it to appear as a removable disk because that's exactly what it is! It's for the same reason that optical drives also appear as removable disks i.e the drive part (eg the CDROM drive or a tape drive) is fixed but the data is stored on removable media (eg CDs, tapes etc). Diskmgmt.msc is Disk Management (not drive management) hence it's only concerned with the media.

why didn't it show up on my computer? Shouldn't it be seen under it even with or without the tape.

It's probably got the most in common with DVDRW (or CDRW) in as much that both use re-writable media & are often used for backing up data.

Can I choose which files/folders to backup, I mean to put on the media?

You could try something like Everest as a comparison:

I will later.

thanks samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
As far as I know, tape drives don't actually show up in My Computer, only in Device Manager & Disk Management. Don't ask me why, I can only assume it's to do with the fact that you cannot access the contents of the tape in same way as a hard drive or optical disk (ie because it's sequential)

As far as selecting what folders to backup etc, I'm not absolutely sure of the answer to that. All I know is that you need to use a piece of 3rd party software (one which is compatible with tape backup obviously) so the amount of control you have over exactly what is and what isn't backed up would be down to the software.

A good starting place may be the tape drive manufacturers website. Not only should this contain useful info about your tape drive but they may even offer a free backup utility you could download.

koko_crunch

koko_crunch

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,751 posts
Thanks Samm.

Will get back to you after I'm done monitoring temps.