Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help Needed. Internet Related Question.

• Please log in to reply

frankricci

frankricci

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello.
It's strange but my internet works perfectly normal, while msn messenger refuses to let me log on at ALL. At first I suspected it to be a messenger problem, when I realized that I could not log on to Ares or Gunbound either.

I can even share my network files with others. I am using LAN and the other computer connected to the network seems to be having no problems at all. I went to the hub and, while the rest of the computers connected showed green lights, mine showed orange.

I do have spyware, Jimstuff and Nowfind. I do not think they are affecting my connection at all, because they never did before, and I've had them for a while now. Please help. I am going crazy.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please feel free to ask and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time,
and Best Regards,

Frank Ricci

PS This might help. I have msn messenger 7.0, and when I try to sign in, it says, "Sorry we were unable to sign you in to the MSN Messenger at this time. Please try again later. 8007276b."
Also, it's not as if it's TRYING to sign in. As SOON as I click on sign in, it gives me that message, as if I am not allowed to sign in, or as if something on my computer is attempting to stop me from signing in.

My search did not use to work, and now it does. But I am still having problems connecting to msn and ares and gunbound. Also, I just recently deleted norton antivirus because it was causing problems. It was when I was trying to delete the leftover files that the search started working again.

Any ideas?

Edited by frankricci, 17 April 2005 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Do you have a firewall turned on??? Try playing around with those settings...

frankricci

frankricci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey sunny,
umm... I don't even think I have a firewall. The main computer does, but I don't think it would be relevant, because the other computer which is connected to the main computer, everything works fine. It's just mine which doesn't.
I had norton antivirus 2005, but it malfunctioned so I deleted it. I also had a bunch of anti spyware programs which I deleted. So what could be the cause of the problem?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Frank

Welcome aboard...!! I forgot that in my previous message.

I really don't have a clue as to whats going on!!! Since yu don't have firewall and spyware installed on you computer it sounds funny to me.

The best option here i would say is that yu simple uninstall all the messengers and P2P that don't work and then do a registry clean up using REG CLEANER 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio. Remove all the registry keys belonging to those s/wares.

Install once more and see if it works.... I had the same problem with my P2P stuff as my spyware removers would take out files belonging to these programs and wouldn't let them run...

Hope this helps

:tazz:

frankricci

frankricci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, I tried exactly what you said, but I still have the problem. I cleaned up everything wrong with my registry, but I still have a problem. I tried uninstalling programs, cleaning registry, then re-installing, but same problem. HELP!

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Let me know if it works or not...

frankricci

frankricci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It doesn't.

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hey man!

Sorry to hear that your problem still persists...I still feel it is some problem with the settings in your P2P program. Do try playing around with them and th PROXY settings and all.... you never know how yu might get it to work!!!!

Also check your windows firewall setting, and if you have SP2 i have seen this causing problems on the LAN....

I really don't know how to help you out any further, but if you do come up with soemthing please do post it here and we can all learn from this experience!!

Thanks
:tazz:

frankricci

frankricci

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm... How do I access my windows firewall settings? I don't have SP2. For some reason, my computer was not able to download it when it first came out. Also, if it was to be strictly a p2p program setting that's gone wrong, then how come it's all my p2ps that do not work? For instance, gunbound, ares, AND messenger included?

Just throwing out some ideas. Need the help.
I've always relied on geekstogo in the past, searching previous posts, but I've never seen this problem, which is why I posted.
All the help will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hey!!

To change your windows firewall settings, first of all you must be logged in as an adminstrator. Open Windows Firewall in control panel. on the general tab that is there select OFF and you should be all set to go!!!

I am not a professional and i really don't know how to help you out -
but remember that Amatuers Built the ark , while professionals built the titanic!!

Cheers :tazz: