Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Music, No Network Discovery

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I loaded up my PC this morning and all was working great, music playing browsing the web. Then my music stopped and Winamp crashed, so I closed Winamp and opened it again and it wouldn't play anything.

I tried loading some music in Windows Media Player and get this:

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

I tried iTunes too and that just starts to play and sits there doing nothing.

When starting windows it plays the startup sound fine and if I play music on the web all is great :)

Now this is a brand new Motherboard becuase my other motherboard died (funny enough that was dodgy Sound)

Now the Network Icon at the bottom has a cross on it and when I hover over it it says:

Connection status: Unknown
Server execution failed

If I try to start the Network List Service I get this:

Windows could not start the Network List Service service on Local Computer.
Error 1450: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

This problem has happened to me 3 times now and I have reloaded each time (the first install was X64 I am now using X86)

I am now getting a bit sick of reloading all the time and was wondering if anyone could shine a light on this.

I have run HDD Diagnostics on the HDD and that came back fine.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
EVGA 8500GT
2GB Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-5400C4
74GB WD Raptor WDC WD74 0GD-00FLA0
Windows Vista Ultimate X86

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
This sounds like the problems you're experiencing http://support.micro...6964/#appliesto

None of the patches are going to help you, but there's information to help you get started on a 'fix'.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I had a look around the internet and particularly on Microsoft Forums, and found the culprit to be the same as MANY others. The problem I have is with AIM, all of these problems appeared RIGHT after installing the new AIM 6.5. I NEED to reload the machine because I still have SOME problems, but I have my music back and networking is all ok again.

Thx anyway

Harry B. C. Dresden

Harry B. C. Dresden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, my brother has the exact same problem on is Compaq laptop running Vista. The error message "Connection status: Unknown
Server execution failed" at the connection icon in the system tray, and can't play music files. Start->'Network' just brings up a window devoid of any writing. Your last post was slightly unclear to me... Did uninstalling the new AIM 6.5 fix both the music problem and the network connection problem? If so, excellent job finding the solution and thanks!

And sorry if I was supposed to start a 'new' topic, but i just wanted clarification on the working solution.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Uninstalling AIM won't fix the problem at all and the only fix for the problem introduces security issues >.<

Please understand the action that adding Local Service to Administrators group may cause potential security issue, because the privilege of Local Service will be elevated.
The Local Service account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. It has minimum privileges on the local computer and presents anonymous credentials on the network.

Nevertheless the fix is:

>>Right click "Computer"
>>Click "Manage"
>>Under the "System Tools" section, Double click "Local Users and Groups"
>>Click "Groups"
>>Right click "Administrators"
>>Click "Add to group..."
>>Click "Add"
>>Click "Advanced"
>>Click "Find Now"
>>Double click "Local Service"
>>Click "Ok"
>>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
>>Click "Ok"
>>Close Computer Management and reboot.

If them options do not appear then:

>Click the start button
>In the instant search, type "CMD"
>Right click on the Cmd short-cut, click "Run as Administrator" (If using User-Account Control)
>Type " net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Local Service" /add" (without quotes)

The only true way to fix is this is to format and don't install AIM until the problem is fixed.

Edited by CJIS, 01 November 2007 - 02:53 AM.

tjnoff

tjnoff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Same problem here.. never should have let AIM upgrade! However, has anyone determined what the AIM upgrade changes to cause this issue? I can deal with registry entry changes or whatever, but not compromising the security of my system by upgrading the service account's permissions. :)

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Nobody seems to know what AIM has done to cause all of this, but the problems are quite deep and all to do with WMI and there is currently only two fixes.

The one I posted or Reload >.<

tjnoff

tjnoff

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, here's what I did, avoiding elevating the service account to administrator level... a big no-no as far as I can tell. (I'd highly recommend that you not use that method if you can avoid it! This problem and that particular solution are widely advertised in message boards everywhere, so I don't imagine it will be long before someone exploits it and finds systems that have made that change!)

- Rolled back my Vista Business system to a restore point prior to when AIM upgraded to 6.5.5.2.
- Uninstalled AIM altogether
- (Had to uninstall and reinstall my Sohpos Anti-Virus client, but I think that's only because I was having issues with it at the point when the restore point was created... may not apply to you)
- Installed the open source Pidgin IM client (http://www.pidgin.im)... No, I have no connection with Pidgin. My coworkers swear by it, so I went with that as an alternative to the problematic AIM client.

The rollback didn't put the old version of AIM on (as far as I can tell), but did fix the network service and WMI issues. No red X on the network icon, Network and Sharing Center comes right up, and iTunes plays fine! Everything is happy now! :)