Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with NAS and Raid1

• Please log in to reply

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok heres the deal im trying to set up an office network with 3 desktops and a printer. dont ask me why im trying myself :) . im sure some of my questions (if not all) are gonna be stupid, but thats how we learn, right?
i bought a fantom g-force megadisk NAS drive;2x500 gb
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822204059
and a fantom 500 gb external drive.

im trying to format the nas drive as a raid1 which im pretty sure means that one drive is going mirror the other realtime. the other 500 gb is going to backup the raid drive on a daily basis, and then i want to have the 500 gb drive backed up offsite/online nightly.

im gonna take this one step at a time and im prolly gonne be back with a couple of questions in the process, the first thing is formatting the drive and creating a raid system. the drive is running some sort of linux os i think, and it allows me to format to fat32, ext2 or ext3. when i attempt to create a raid i can only choose between ext2 or ext3. i thought ext was read by linux only and i know that fat32 is soewhat outdated and limited. what do i do from here?

p.s. any suggestions regarding online/offsite backup?

thanks

Advertisements

syb388

syb388

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok, i got the raid NAS set up as raid1 and mapped the drive in windows, seems to work fine. i connected the 500 gb drive directly to the NAS drive, but i cant see it in windows. anybody have any ideas on how to mount and map an external drive connected directly to a NAS storage device?
also like i mentioned earlier; any suggestions regarding online backup would be much appreciated.