Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok heres what happened. I turned off my computer cuz I was going to goto the store. I came back turned it on,2 seconds later a puff of smoke comes out of my Power supply and the computer turns off. so Im aww [bleep]. I try turning it back on nothing. Like this is a 9 day Old power supply. So I goto the store and get a new one. I hook it up. Turn I goto turn it on Same thing doesnt turn on. I look inside and when I press the Power button the processor fan Turns on for like 2 seconds and nothing happens. What could be going wrong?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It could be a number of things, check the connections first but when the psu went up in smoke it could have damaged another component but it could also be the new psu is bad so what kind of psu's are these? List name brand, watts and amps on the 3,3v 5v and 12v

List your system specs or the name brand, model and model number of your computer.

Remove the psu from thre computer, plug into the wall outlet then on the 20 pin connector use a paper clip and touch the green and any black wirer, this should turn the psu on. Then using a volt meter (digital is best) touch one probe to the orange wirer and the other to a black then do the red wier and then the yellow.

Post back the readings, this is a no load test but at least it will tell us if the psu is good enough to start the computer.

Rick

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Turbolink switching power supply
Model: Lc-A2350atx 12v 350watt. (This is the new one, the other one went up in smoke, but its the same make)

Windows Xp Sp2
40gig maxtor
Radeon 9550
Soundblaster 5.1 Live
512Ddr ram
AMI bios
Amd processor at like 1600

Also Could I use a needle Instead of a paper clip Seems Im all out

Edited by L3vidog, 18 April 2005 - 07:42 AM.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I switched that little red thing on it from 115v to 230v and the processor fan turns on and stays on and the power supply fan comes on as well noth ing else turns on. when I hook up the hard drive and that I turn it off then On , Only the processor fan turns on and nothing else still . So I turn plug in the cd drive and nothing comes on not even the processor fan. I think when the smoke came up , I think something on my mother board got burnt or something .

Edited by L3vidog, 18 April 2005 - 08:08 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I switched that little red thing on it from 115v to 230v and the processor fan turns on and stays on and the power supply fan comes on as well noth ing else turns on. when I hook up the hard drive and that I turn it off then On , Only the processor fan turns on and nothing else still . So I turn plug in the cd drive and nothing comes on not even the processor fan. I think when the smoke came up , I think something on my mother board got burnt or something .

View Post

L3viddog - I think you are in danger of destroying the rest of your components if you continue to test things.

Changing the Voltage switch on the back is not something normally done. Do you live in a country with 220/240 Volts as your main house voltage?

Unfortunately, your first power supply could have been shorted out by a failure in the power supply, or something attached to it. Meaning when one goes, a "cascading" affect can occur taking out CPUs, RAM, Video Cards, motherboard.

The fact that your second supply then fried says that you have big problems internally (although new supplies can be bad right out of the box, it is not common).

You can buy a plug in connector to test your supply for under $20USD - they are not as accurate as using a meter, but much easier. They are nice because they provide a "dummy load" for the power supply so you can test fans and drive moters without attaching to the motherboard.

The other components are not in questionable condition. If you do not have the proper test equipment to troubleshoot voltages across the motherboard, the I would not use any of them in a computer again - at least not one that is not expendable. I think at this point, you should take it to a shop as it appears you have a short somewhere that is drawing excessive current, and creating momentary light bulbs!

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Alright, I tested my ram, Video Card and sound card on another computer and thier fine but I havnt tested the hard drive

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you can test the hard drive with relative easy by removing the data cable and plugging in the drive - if it spins, then chances are it is good, or at lease is not likely to destroy the rest of your systems.

If it were me, I would pull the motherboard and make sure no screw slid underneath, that there were stand-offs ONLY where mounting holes in the board were located, and that there was not a abnormally long lead from the underside of the board touching the case. If all that was okay, then I might be tempted to try a known good power supply JUST to the motherboard - but only because I have supplies to spare and a test bench.

At this point, if you brought this to me, I would be advising you to consider a new motherboard - but I would not put in that case without a thorough inspection, or attaching it to any untested supply.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok Ill just probly get a new motherboard. I Tested the hard drive on my other computer, Works Fine.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Ok Ill just probly get a new motherboard. I Tested the hard drive on my other computer, Works Fine.

View Post

I would consider getting a Power Supply tester and check out any supply prior to hooking it up to a new mobo.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Tested power supply , works fine

Edited by L3vidog, 18 April 2005 - 11:29 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
When you tested it what voltage readings did you get?

I would want to be sure that psu is good before purchasing another board

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I just think its my mobo, Also Another question, If the processer was fried would this also prevent starting?

Edited by L3vidog, 20 April 2005 - 07:37 AM.

fellowplanetdweller

fellowplanetdweller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Inspect the mainboard for signs of physical damage. Especially pay close attention to th e tops of capacitors ( the little beer can looking "things" ) around the processor. The capacitors may have bulged out on top and / or be leaking as they contain electrolytic fluid.

From your initial description, it sure sounds like your mainboard is shorting out on the case somewhere. IF you are aware of proper precautions to use while working with electricity / fundamentals of electrical properties, I recommend taking the mainboard out of the case, sitting it on a piece of styrofoam or other non-conductive surface and trying to power it up to see if you can achieve POST (Power On Self Test). You won't achieve full POST without a video card, but you can atleast see if the fan stays on, etc.

If you're uncomfortable with the above, etc. I really recommend taking your computer into a shop to let them diagnose it and/or track down a friend with more experience.

Hope that helps,

fellowplanetdweller

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I just think its my mobo, Also Another question, If the processer was fried would this also prevent starting?

View Post

uhhh, yes.

L3vidog

L3vidog

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
If the processor was Fried, Would this prevent everything from turning on? Fan and such? my fan used to come on now it isnt at all! I tried sticking my toung to the computer so I could be electricuted but there nothing going through it, I tested my power supply on another computer works fine