Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I've been working on this same laptop for the past year and have not had one problem (well, nothing out of the usual glitch here and there). Recently I formatted and reinstalled everything and it's been working smoothly up until now. I've been starting to notice small problems (like for instance sometimes my open programs don't show in the taskbar). What bothers me is that recently I installed Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on the machine (yes, I'm a nostalgic gamer) and it crashed after about 10 minutes of play. When I say crash I mean the PC just shut down completely (didn't restart, just shut down). The power gauges weren't lit so i thought that the problem is a faulty connection. But after a while they came back on and the pc could switch on again. This happened a few times when playing this game and today it also happened when i ran SuperAntiSpyware and Avast scans (at the same time). I find it weird because i've run extremely taxing programs like Half Life 2, Photoshop CS3, Corel Painter X and Illustrator CS2 and I've never had this problem. I think it might be because the pc overheats (because it does get hectically hot at times), but why would it suddenly do that after a year? It's still under warranty as well.

Edited by BlackHalo, 10 November 2007 - 03:51 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello BlackHalo,

I would have to agree with you on this, it does sound like an overheating issue:
  • The first thing you want to do is make sure all the fans and vents are clear of any obstructions. Get an air can and blow out the fans and vents. Make sure that when you use the laptop, you are not blocking the airflow in and out of your laptop.
  • Also, if you have your laptop plugged in while in use, consider removing the battery (at full charge preferably). The laptop will run normally, but without the extra heat generated from the battery recharging itself.
  • Try not to run too many processes at once so your computer doesn't have to work as hard.
  • Make sure your system is clear of junk files and thoroughly defragmented regularly.
  • If these tips don't help enough, consider using your warranty or buying a cooling pad/stand to help keep it cool.
Let me know if you need any more information,

Ax

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Hey Ax238,

Thanks for the reply.

I've already done most of the things you've suggested: been running it on a cooling pad since I got it and also defragment and clear junk on a regular basis. I did clear the vents with air actually right after i posted my question and the amount of dust and junk that came out was astounding! I haven't had any major issues with it since clearing the vents, was probably just that.

I read that overheating is a common problem with Toshiba laptops (especially the Satellite series, which i have) after a year. So i'll give it a while and see if it persists, in which case I'll just have to take it in to the seller.

Thanks!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
BlackHalo,

Great to hear it is running better after cleaning the vents. You sound like you are keeping your system in good running shape. Thanks for the added information on Toshiba Satellite laptops and their being prone to overheating, good information to know! I'll agree with you too, it's nice to be able to use those warranties when the situation goes hopelessly downhill.

Regards,

Ax