Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU options?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
In my BIOS it says DRAM Frequency so I think I am good.

EDIT: Options for the DRAM Frequency is 400MHz, 553MHz, and 667MHz.

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 November 2007 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is the same explanation I gave to Troy regarding the FSB:DRAM ratio.

Ram chips, like CPU chips, are sold on their rated speed. DDR2-800 actually operates at 400 MHz, this is because ram transmits their bits on the rising and falling edge of the clock (similarly, DDR2- 667, actually operates at 333 Mhz, and DDR2-533 will operate at 266 MHz.

The FSB clocks itself by quad pumping the system clock, the memory clocks itself by a ratio of this clock (what you call FSB : DRAM), the CPU clocks itself by a multiplier x the system clock.

Since Intel (or AMD for that matter) fix the system clock for any particular generation, then to make all the different RAMs compatible, the RAM must be 'divided'. For example, to Run DDR2-800 at the rated 400MHz on a C2D stock system, the system clock of 266 must be multiplied by 3 then divided by 2 or a ratio of 3:2. This would convert the system clock to 400 MHz and send data at DDR2-800 speeds. As another example, DDR2-533 is clocked at 266, so it is a 1:1 match for the stock 266MHz. If you overclock to 333 MHz for example, DDR2-533 would likely fail as this is now significantly above it's rated speed.

Keep in mind that Gigabyte has a simplified BIOS, instead of using the 1:1 ratio, or 3:2 ratio, it'll say 2x or 1.5x multiplier. however as of now, Gigabyte doesn't support a multiplier lower then 2. If you don't understand this, there really is no better way that I can explain it and you'll have to go and do a little research on the topic, again if you don't plan on overclocking, there is no need to worry about this.

Click the attached document, your looking for the "System memory Multiplier" to change the multiplier for your RAM.
James

Attached Thumbnails

• 1zdbthe.jpg

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I think I understand it. So is my board able to overclock the E6750 by changing the DRAM Frequency (400MHz, 553MHz, and 667MHz) and the FSB. Before when I attempted I just raised the FSB and did not get as far as I hoped for before I crashed. Another factor could have been the fact that I had a HOT Pentium D.

Well I need to go to bed so chat tomorrow. C ya. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 18 November 2007 - 09:31 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Wow. No. Lol.

First off, raising the frequency that the RAM runs at will not do anything to overclock your CPU. In fact, your RAM has nothing to do with your CPU overclock, unless their frequencies are linked together.

Secondly, if your system is crashing when overclocking, that means you need to raise the CPU voltage. Of course you won't get far OCing without raising voltage. Just like your car won't go faster unless you press down the gas pedal more. :) This is not so true with the Core 2 Duos (my e6750 gets to 3.3ghz without raising voltage), but is definitely true when you get to higher frequencies and when dealing with the power-hungry Pentium Ds.

Edited by stettybet0, 18 November 2007 - 09:36 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok bud since this post is getting too big I recommend you get the 6750 now and then if neccessary get a new Mobo. See how it all works out, lol.

Soorena

Edit: OK this is the millionth time I spelt neccessry wrong.
EDIT 2: Million and one, lol.

Edited by SOORENA, 18 November 2007 - 09:44 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Ok bud since this post is getting too big I recommend you get the 6750 now and then if neccessary get a new Mobo. See how it all works out, lol.

Soorena

Edit: OK this is the millionth time I spelt neccessry wrong.

Make that one million and one. :)
If you think this is big take a look at Troy's thread, we went over 100 posts, I think it was 9 pages long.
Also, like settybet said, not quite......try re-reading what I posted, if it still doesn't make any sense I will try to re word it and see if that helps.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 November 2007 - 09:50 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
In this topic, FSB:RAM ratios are pretty well discussed. However, it may just confuse you since James and I didn't agree on everything. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I think it's better we don't bring up unlinked and synced RAM ratios. I still don't quite understand it, I think I will need a motherboard to tinker with to see for myself.
I think that topic will cause more confusion then good because jack doesn't have a 6x0i board.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well at the moment I am not worried about overclocking my Pentium D. I just want to be sure that I will be able to overclock the E6750 with this board. So is it true that my board does not have a fixed 1:1 ratio because I am able to change the FSB to any number I want and I can change the DRAM Frequency to 400MHz, 553MHz, or 667MHz?

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 November 2007 - 09:06 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What frequency is stock for your RAM?
It appears that your motherboard is just display the possible clock rates rather then the dividers, therefor your don't have to calculate anything and there is a smaller margin of error.
400MHz would be a 1:1 ratio as Pentium D's function on a 800MHz FSB, though since you are not pushing your CPU hard you do not want the 1:1 ratio as it would lead to a dramatic decrease in RAM speed. Because Core2duo's run on a 1066MHz and 1333MHz FSB, a 1:1 ratio translates into a much higher RAM frequency then on your Pentium D motherboard (which runs at a 800MHz FSB).
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 November 2007 - 09:33 AM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
My RAM is 667MHz
Atached: CPUZ - memory.
And at the moment I have default settings.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled15.jpg

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 November 2007 - 03:10 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
CPUZ other tabs.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled14.jpg
  • Untitled13.jpg

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah, if you lower the frequency to 533MHz, then the RAM won't be preventing an overclock.
Though if you don't overclock enough, or if you don't tighten your timings, you RAM will become a bottleneck.
Overclocking requires a lot of time and patience.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Well at the moment I am not worried about overclocking my Pentium D. I just want to be sure that I will be able to overclock the E6750 with this board. So is it true that my board does not have a fixed 1:1 ratio because I am able to change the FSB to any number I want and I can change the DRAM Frequency to 400MHz, 553MHz, or 667MHz?

So I guess I will be good with an E6750 then. Now Newegg http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115029 It says under "Essentials" An option for "# ZEROtherm ZT100 thermal grease - Retail" $5.99. Do I need this or is does the CPU come with the Thermal Grease? Or is this better quality then the stock grease they give you with it?

I am not even going to bother trying to overclock the Pentium D because it is so low on the specs for the game.

Edited by jackflash1991, 19 November 2007 - 04:59 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The stock thermal grease is quite good and unless your wanting to spend 10$ for AS5 or something similar, it's not worth it.
While I cannot guarantee anything, it should work.
Do you know for sure your motherboard will work with C2D? If not give me your model number.
James