Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finding better graphics support

• Please log in to reply

DOh23a1C

DOh23a1C

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello again all.

I've recently installed Ubuntu on my PC. After a few days of frustration and irritation I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it (after all, I'm writing this running on Ubuntu right now with my Belkin Wireless card, took me a week to figure that one out, lol).

Anyway, I just got DVD capabilities up and running and now I have a question.

DVD playback is somewhat scetchy. That is to say it is kind of choppy with fast movement in the scene. The video itself plays smoothly, it doesn't glitch like my player in XP does (where the entire screen stops every fraction of a second), but things like say wiper blades (watching a racing video) will be blurred because they're moving quickly.

Is there a way to improve the playback performance? Is it an issue on the graphics driver side? Sorry if my explanation confuses anyone, it's the best way I can think to describe it.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Enable all the repositories in Synatptic and install vlc player. It seems to do a better job at playing video then most other players like xine and mplayer. Be sure you have libdvdcss2 and w32codecs installed.