Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie Upgrading his PUTER.. need help :(

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
As far as Intel CPUs go, it depends on whether or not you plan on overclocking. The e2160 can easily approach 3GHz on stock cooling which puts its performance at or above many processors twice the price. Even with the 3850 the GPU is most likely going to be the bottleneck, not the CPU, so I think you would be better off going with the cheaper CPU and the better graphics card.

Here are some midrange CPU OC benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech...d...i=3112&p=14

Edited by kidnova, 05 December 2007 - 01:57 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Here's something I don't get... Why do people say a low-end processor is better than a high-end processor because it can be overclocked to a higher clock speed than the high-end processor is at stock. Well, sure, but the high-end processor can be overclocked too! Some Core 2 Duos have been able to reach 4Ghz on air. Also, don't forget that the Core 2 Duos have a higher FSB (either 1066mhz or 1333mhz) and, more importantly, they have at least twice the L2 cache of the E2160. Some, like the e6750 which was suggested, have four times the L2 cache. I feel that the E6750 is the best price/performance CPU currently available, and highly recommend it.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I think you're kind of missing the point of my post. Yes, you could overclock the 6750 and beat out an overclocked e2x00. However, he's working with a budget and the 6750 is over twice the price of the cheaper processor. Find me somewhere that I stated that the e2160 is "better" than the 6750, cause I don't see it. The point is, even at stock speeds, if he buys the more expensive processor and the cheaper graphics card, he's going to get LESS performance in games than if he purchases the cheaper CPU and better GPU. That's all I'm saying. And I personally would disagree on the 6750 being the best price/performance ratio, but now we're talking opinion.

Edited by kidnova, 05 December 2007 - 02:17 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Gotta agree with you there. It would definitely be in the OP's best interest to get the best graphics card available in their budget, even if it means cutting back a bit on other parts.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Both of you are missing one point, not everyone overclocks.
lreyes66, do you know how to overclock? In the event that you do not, I suggest sticking with the AMD route as they have better price/performance in the low end.
What kind of gaming do you intened on playing? Anything in particular?
Stick with the HD3850, you cannot get a better performing card in it's price range.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 December 2007 - 03:46 PM.