Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cisco Confirms VoIP Can Be Used to Eavesdrop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Cisco says it is possible to eavesdrop onremote conversations using its VoIP phones, publishes workarounds.

Cisco confirmed it is possible to eavesdrop on remote conversations using Cisco VoIP phones. In its security response, Cisco says: "an attacker with valid Extension Mobility authentication credentials could cause a Cisco Unified IP Phone configured to use the Extension Mobility feature to transmit or receive a Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) audio stream."

Details>>.

Ron

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
thats scary. I am forming a theory, tell me what you think. No matter how secure ''it'' is if it is electronic or computer, there is always someone good enough to break through. ????????????

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You got it. If man put it together, man can take it apart. Consider nothing secure, but don't be paranoid over it. :)

Ron

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Consider nothing secure, but don't be paranoid over it

Yeah I agree.

Edited by Krusha, 06 December 2007 - 05:00 PM.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Meh, I don't use VOiP at all, I always chat on MSN :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
VoIP and chatting on MSN aren't related, but good to know you don't have VoIP installed. :)

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I said that in the sense that I don't like talking over the phone :) My voice is too creepy anyway.

jrsReign

jrsReign

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Cisco accepted it is accessible to eavesdrop on limited conversations application Cisco VoIP phones. In its aegis response, Cisco says: "an antagonist with accurate Extension Mobility affidavit accreditation could could cause a Cisco Unified IP Phone configured to use the Extension Mobility affection to address or accept a Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) audio stream."

Edited by jrsReign, 04 June 2009 - 05:37 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Cisco phones are such a pain to setup but once they are its so easy to maintain. I think it was just a matter of time before someone "discovered" a way to do this and blow the whistle. I don't think SIP packets are encrypted, which would make man in the middle all the more easier.