Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp will not update and cd-rom will not read disks

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You didn't get a good check...it should have taken upwards of an hour.

See if you can boot to the cd you have. Put it into the drive and restart...watch for the prompt to "Press any key to boot from cd" and press the spacebar when you see it. If it will boot to the cd, it will take you to the Welcome to Setup screen...press R to enter recovery console. Select the operating system you want to repair by number from the list...usually 1.

When you get to the C:\Windows prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter"...the disk check should start and go through 5 stages. When it completes, it should give you some indication of what it found...make note of that information.

Type exit and press "Enter" to boot to Windows.

If you know someone with a retail XP disk of the same version (home of pro), it would be preferable to use that.

Advertisements

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i have a xp pro disk its from my pc will that work?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have pro installed on the machine you are working on it would be perfect. :)

Let me know if you don't get the option for recovery console when you use it.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
im sorry about this but i think im getting a confused and that would be first for me lol this laptop has xp home on it could i use my xp pro disk to do the check?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...we don't want to use a pro disk if the installed operating system is home.

Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

This is Recovery Console only...

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok i couldn't try that iso burning thing it don't detect the recorder so i can't burn it on disk and now i have a predicament
of my own my pc has a orange light where the power on so i cant use mine to burn the disk every time i press the button it stays orange it doesn't even power up anyways let sget back to the laptop last night i shut it down but before i did that i read in a post awhile back to go to system properties then advanced tab then start up and recovery then settings go to system failure and uncheck automatic restart to see it i would get any blue screen errors well i shut down last night and went to bed and this morning i turned it on and got this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again,
follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode

Technical Information: 

*** Stop: 0x000000ED ( 0x86397A68,0xC000009C,0x00000000,0x00000000)

before i didn't have that unchecked and i would see a 2 sec. flash of blue like an error seemed funny to me so i was reading on this forum like i usually do when i am on my own pc and saw about the restart option when system fails so i said i should try it and thats what i got that message

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good move... :)

As luck would have it, that's the very error I suspected and have been working at. When you install the ISO Recorder, it should have added "Copy image to CD" to your right click menu. Right click on the rc.iso file you downloaded and choose that option from the menu. We need to run the disk check from outside of Windows...booting to that cd will allow us to do that.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok let me get this straight do i place a cd in the cd rom and it will burn it right to it even dough it dont read the cd-rom ?

Edited by LATIN, 20 December 2007 - 02:45 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's hope. If not, can you burn it on another machine?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok i got my back my pc and downloaded the

Download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for your operating system.

but when i open it up i get blank rewritable Non-usable could it be my nero thats interfearing with the burning program ?

i am trying to burn it with nero

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have installed ISO Recorder, try using that instead of Nero. Just right click on the downloaded file and choose "Copy Image to CD" from the menu...that will start the recorder. Burn at the slowest speed available.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
it wont let me burn it with ISO Recorder i get cannot use media at the bottom and where it lets you choose wich cd drive to use to burn with it says this F: Blank Writable Non - Usable and the next button isnt working

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Wannabe1 Thank you for all your help it is really apreaciated you can close this topic my cousin took the laptop back and didnt let me finish fixing it lmao :) they got impatient im on my pc now lol i was wondering how do you remove the black around the text in the shortcuts on ya desktop i set it up along time ago but i cant remember how to unset it.

Screen Shot:
Posted Image

And Thank you again Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Advanced" tab, then on the "Settings" button (in the Performance section).

Under the "Visual Effects tab, check to see that the box next to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is selected.

Which one of the 4 radio buttons above the options list is selected?