Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading My Pc

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Oh, didn't know about that. i have all my fans running off my mobo.

but im getting new fans soon!

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Are they 120mm fans? The Scythe fans are amazing. I don't hear them at all, even at 100%. I'm definitely ordering some of those adapters because it will be nice to know the fans are always running and at 100% so the BIOS doesn't screw with them.

Edited by dcloud, 14 February 2008 - 06:01 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I'm just getting a 80mm LED because I want my case's holes to glow blue XD when im gaming in the dark

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 14 February 2008 - 06:07 PM.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
LOL...cool. :) How many fns do you have?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
(1) 120mm (1) 92mm (1) 80mm

don't have much.

getting some more 80mm to fill up holes in my case. lots of areas i can add fans, and because of my new PSU, I have spare connectors XD

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yep, filling up the space is something I'm wanting to do, too. I'm ordering two more HDs and another Lite-On SATA DVD burner. I'm also looking at getting this StarTech PCI Post Diagnostics Test Card just for grins. It might actually come in handy. I'm want to get this Scythe 18-in-1 USB 2.0 FDD & Card Reader Combo drive, too.

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I'm just getting a 80mm LED because I want my case's holes to glow blue XD when im gaming in the dark

Rock, I saw these cool 80mm blue LED case fans by CoolerMaster while doing a Google search for something else. I found a review on them here. They seem like pretty decent fans.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

There are some power loss issues with modulars anyway, and the PCP&C Silencer makes up for this by being a solid workhouse.

This was the case when modular PSU's first arrived at the market. This issue is not virtually none existent.

LOL...cool. smile.gif How many fns do you have?

I have 9 :)

No you wouldn't fry anything running those fans off your motherboard.

I'm ordering two more HDs and another Lite-On SATA DVD burner.

Pioneer drives are far better.

Trust me, no you do not. Takes the realism out of a game, LED's look "cool" for a week, then you hate them. I have removed all three LED fans out of my Antec900.
Jame

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

No you wouldn't fry anything running those fans off your motherboard.

If I hook my fans to the PSU should the CPU fan stay connected to the connector on the MB? If not let me know then I can hook that one to the PSU, too.

He also told me I need to take the fan off my Ultra120E and turn it around. He said it's facing the wrong way. It should be blowing into the cooler, but I thought that's what it was already doing.

Posted Image

I showed him the above picture and he still says it should be turned around. Then he showed me this picture (below) and said to look at the arrows and that they are pointing the wrong way. I should turn it around.

Posted Image

I don't know. What do you think?

Edited by dcloud, 14 February 2008 - 10:40 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

If I hook my fans to the PSU should the CPU fan stay connected to the connector on the MB? If not let me know then I can hook that one to the PSU, too.

Whatever works best for you, it really doesn't matter.

All my 120mm fans come with a 3 pin connector, I have never heard of the 120mm fans running anything, in fact they draw slightly more then the stock Intel heatsink. Taht said, I wouldn't put a pantflow on a motherboard connector, though I doubt it would even function at full capacity. I have no idea what that guy is talking about. As for the fan, put your hand in front of it, the air should be blowing through the heatsink. There is very little difference beatween push or pull on the TRUE.
James

Advertisements

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
So what you're saying is I have it on there the right way? Or not? Looking at the arrows I thought maybe he was right.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So what you're saying is I have it on there the right way?

Put your hand infront of the fan and tell me which way the air is blowing. The fan should be blowing the air through the heatsink towards the back of your case.
That picture isn't clear enough and I cannot make out the arrow.
James

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
The arrow is pointing away from the HS (it points toward the front of the case). I have put my hand in front of it and I can't feel anything. Putting my hand behind it doesn't help either because the rear fan is blowing on my hand and I can't tell if there's any air coming through the HS.

Is the sticker usually on the back or front of a fan?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Dampen the back of you hand, this is almost the most sensitive part of your body (next to your cheek). If you still cannot feel any air movement, that likely means you fan is being undervolted and not pushing as much air as it could (or you bought a low CFM fan).

On my fans, the air blows towards the wires. Though I cannot confirm this is the case with all fans.
James

dcloud

dcloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm at work right now so I'll have to wait till I get home. The fan on the HS is a Scythe 120mm 1600rpm. I'm not sure what the rating is on the two fans that came with my case, but they are 120mm, too. I turned off SmartFan in the BIOS and changed the fan setting to Voltage so they would run at 100%. I know they are running faster because my core temps dropped considerably. The front fan is running straight off the PSU so I know that one is at 100%.