Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help choosing the best mp3/mp4 player

• Please log in to reply

Slayer21

Slayer21

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Alright, I have heard so much about new features and stuff out of all the new mp3/mp4 players, but which one is the best? My 30 GB iPod Video just died on me and I need to find a new one. I am not looking to go the Apple iPod route again because of mine only lasting a few days after my warranty ended, but I will consider if you can convince me. I have been looking at the Microsoft 30 GB Zune, but people have told me you cannot add music from your own collection, but instead you have to buy it. I am just looking for a 20+ GB Video and Music Player that will last me. So please be serious and tell me what you think is the best and why.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Slayer21...

I gave my daughter a Zune for Christmas. She had no problem at all adding her music collection to it...in fact, it was easier than using the old iPod. The Zune's Synch feature is extremely user friendly...it will automatically locate all the music on your machine and will let you choose what you want to add or let you add everything at once.

I have several friends who also have Zunes...which have been operating flawlessly since they were purchased more than a year ago. They do not plan on returning to the iPod.

wannabe1

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thank You. Well I am going to need a few more opinions instead of going solely with one. So keep them coming.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Oh and a quick question about the zune, does it only play WMA's or can you put MP3's on it, that is another thing I heard. And what format do the Video's have to be?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AAC, MP3, WMA, Mov, MP4, JPG, M4B, and M4a will all work with the Zune.

Slayer21

Slayer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Ok Thank You Again. I believe WMV would work too since it is also a Microsoft Format.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Creative mp3/mp4 players are good. For me it's better than apple ipod and zune.

you will have a variety of choices.
:)

check this out: http://asia.creative...sp?category=213

and its cheaper..

astro2

astro2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
what the heck is a zune? lol just kidding...its obviously a mp3 player, but whats so good about it? i know little about ipods AND have never heard of zune, i think ipods suck and have short life spans with inferior batteries that die as quick as xbox360 (even was mentioned on the news)

i prefer psp's since they have unltimate abilities, go on net, camera option, tv tuner, player games/homebrew, view pictures, turn into a tv remote, emulators, turn into a windows exlorer, listen to music whilst looking at pics.....list goes on

BUT i have been thinking of getting a smaller player for the car i.e use one of those cassette deck adapters so it saves money (pointless to get car mp3 players they are not versatile)

right now i'm using a 'nintendo DS' mp3 option with cassette deck adapter, good but each time i need to play music i need to boot it to music mode

is vuze similar to ipod? can you scan through songs quickly? ideal for car use? how much? they available to ebay?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have a zune as well. I switched from an iPod to the zune and Ill never go back. Easy to navigate, the software is not a huge hog like iTunes. I added all the music from my iTunes library quickly and without flaw. The video is clean and crisp, the player has great sound quality. Overall I'd recommend one to anyone.

There are good and bad points to all players. I cant find any bad points about the zune, but I have read reviews where people didn't like it.

The best advice is to go to a store that has multiple choices and put the player in your hand. Use it and listen to it. Actually having it and using it will make the biggest difference.

xucphra

xucphra

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I would suggest the iRiver. It's just like the iPod; except about half the price; and has radio, a microphone, and many other features that Zunes and iPods don't have

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You are right, the zune does not have a microphone, but thats a feature I couldn't ever see using. From what I can tell the iRiver only has wireless in the more expensive models. Wireless is standard on the zune.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm waiting for the Zune to arrive in Canada then I plan on purchasing it myself. Sadly I think it'll be here later rather then sooner. Anyone know if the Zune can be used as an external hard drive? If it can, that'll seal the deal. I think I might even head south to pick one up one of these weekends, problem is that would technically be considered "grey market" and I would lose my warranty as a result :)
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have used mine as an external drive, however its hard to justify when I have a 320 Gig external drive and a 4 Gig USB key.

Still, its there if I need it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I have used mine as an external drive, however its hard to justify when I have a 320 Gig external drive and a 4 Gig USB key.

True. I do as well, but a Zune would be much more convenient to carry about then an external hard drive when you're moving larger files around. Though, I rarely carry files around that my 4GB stick wouldn't be able to carry with me, make that very rarely. In the end though, I rather have one device serving multiple purposes then having 3+ devices on hand, that would do the same thing.
James

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I am moving this thread to Tech discussion since its really not a Serious Discussion topic.