Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 activeX issue?

• Please log in to reply

dan11295

dan11295

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have Windows XP SP2 w/IE7 and seem to be having an issue consistantly loading net functions w/Adobe Flash 9. I posted a hijack this in the other forum wondering if it was malware related as it was working fine with IE6 until last week around the same time my net connection as a whole became slow. not sure if i need to change any settings with IE7 to make them work better.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

dan11295

dan11295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted a Hijackthis 3-4 days ago, simply got buried 10 pages down. I personally saw nothing suspicious in the log. Found PurityScan an 1 trojan which i quarantined/removed and they havent reappeared since.

Specifically I am having problems accessing loading Stickam live chat room window, and when i do get in the feed will be interrupted, althought the window itself stays acitive. I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Adobe ActiveX 9 control and checked my ActiveX Settings on IE7, also made sure multiple antivirus/malware detectors were not running. Deleted Quicktime and Realplayer also (I dont use these anyways) and removed the access to Quicktime and Windows Media Player in XP.

I also before rebooting I got an "out of memory" issue when attempting to open Hijackthis". First time running into that.

Beyond that, My Computer and Internet have been fine.

dan11295

dan11295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: Been having A couple other non-ActiveX issues. Wondering if its Jave related.

1. On Yahoo messenger I am unable to Select a friends name occasionaly when I want to send an IM. Others can message me though.

2. Occasionally get the webpage "completed, but with errors" on the CNN main page, then was unable to select a news link. restarting my connection fixed the problem.

dan11295

dan11295

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I posted this in the application forum by might be better suited here:

Am Using IE7 with XP SP2 and appear to be having issues with ActiveX controls. Specifically while using Stickam chat rooms I frequently disconnect and rejoin the room (with the chat window remaining open). After a while often I an unable to click on profile links on that site. In one case i was then unable to go to a link on another site as well (CNN in this case). Have also experienced being unable to open IM chat boxes in Yahoo Messenger 8 after a period of time. Rebooting solves all the above issues if they appear except for the initial chat room problems.

Problem began about 2 weeks ago. Ran bunch of Spywate detectors and cleaned stuff up. Then posted Hijackthis in malware section a week ago without a response. Examining active processes and logs and later scans seem to indicate my system is clean. Tried the following with no luck:

Reinstall latest Adobe ActiveX control
Using Firefox instead.
Deleting Cookies & Temporary Internet Files
Delete RealPlayer and Windows Media Player and Disable access to both in "set program access and defaults"

Is this an add on or Java issue? Almost like something is interrupting the feed.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello dan11295,

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to wait until someone can assist you with your HJT log. Once your log is declared clean, you can receive help in the tech forums. It is general practice to allow the malware removal helpers to do their job before assisting with other problems, as they are often related. Once your log is clean, we can continue helping you with any other problems you have. Please be patient and wait for your log to be looked at.

I have merged your Applications topic into this topic. In the future, please keep all related issues in the same topic.

Since your log has been posted more than three days ago, it might be helpful to read this and create a new topic in The Waiting Room.

Regards,

Ax