Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

shanghaiman

shanghaiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
its an internal drive.

sorry - been travellnig for a couple of days and didn't get a chance to post :)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries.

If the second hard disk is internal then I wouldn't have thought that the fact your music is stored on this drive instead of the primary drive is going to be causing a problem. However, just to eliminate that possibility completely, you could try copying a couple of music files over to the C drive and then playing them from there just to see if it does make any difference.

I meant to ask you before - do you still have that processor to memory IO Interface error in device manager?

Also, what is the DMA buffer size set to in the hardware settings for the Edirol and which driver are you using? (ASIO, WDM, EASI or MME)

Apart from that, I'm going to ask you to do a few little experiments for me....
I want you to try playing a few different audio formats and from a variety of locations using different applications.
e.g playing:
streamed audio over the internet
normal audio CDs
wav or wma files that are on your hard disk
mp3 files that are on your hard disk

Try each of these using as many different players as you can. e.g Windows Media Player, Windows built in CD Player (in Program file -> Accessories -> CD Player), iTunes, any other audio applications that you may have. In particular, try and play some of the music files which you have been listening to in iTunes by using a different application and see if the distortion is just as bad.

Make a note each time of what the sound quality is like. I'm trying to ascertain whether there's any significant pattern to this. You also mentioned about cpu spikes in iTunes - keep an eye the cpu usage to see if similar spikes are also occuring in other applications.

Edited by Samm, 25 January 2008 - 07:47 PM.