Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C: is partitioned and don't know how to remove it

• Please log in to reply

jameslaur

jameslaur

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, need some help and have seen a bunch of your forums on this and am impressed... keep up the good work.

I am trying to Format my C: in Safe mode, but am receiving "System Partician is not allowed to be formated". So I went into Computer management, and my C: is split up between these two particians...'C: 37.22GB, Healthy(System Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition' and '31MB Healthy (EISA Configuration)'. I assume that my issue is that it is particianed due to the '31MB Health.....' partician. When I right click on it, I get no options except for 'help' and it only pumps me into windows help which is no help at all.

I would send a screen shot but since I am in safe mode and my programs are hosed, I cannot.

Do you have any options for me on this? If not, do I need to 'load from the OS CD' like you mention in other strings? If so, can you advise how I can do that?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing back from you.

J

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jameslaur...

Your C: drive is the system drive and cannot be formatted from within Windows. The smaller partition is the recovery partition and holds the files needed to recover your system should it fail catastrophically.

You can format using an operating system cd or an application such as Boot and Nuke. Do you have an XP or Vista cd?

wannabe1

jameslaur

jameslaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, thanks for the clarity. I do have the Vista CD. In bay door, ready to go. Can you detail what I need to do?

transit

transit

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Hi.

turn on your computer, after put your CD operative system in your CD_rom, turn of your computer and after 5 second turn it again the computer go to ask you if you want to reboot your computer from your CD or normal. or ask you if you want to boot your computer from the CD click any keys do that..what ever the instruction to ask you to start from the CD. after the computer go to ask you some questions, follow the instruction and you can erase the C: partition, but I warning you if you format C: partition you erasing your hardrive, So be sure that is what you want... also I think the computer can ask you if you want to fix the partition without format the partition. follow what you want to do.

good luck

transit

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
There is also a program called Gparted its found Free on the net. Its a good one for adding or removing and changing the size of partitions. its very easy to use to. i keep a copy of it around. And alot of Linux live CDs have partition editors on them. Who knows you may find you like linux better. :-)