Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied forever, huh?

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I guess I'm going to have access denied to folders on my vista for life won't I? I've tried everything. I've tried setting the control settings to "Everyone" and allowing full control, no avail. The main access troubles I am having are for my external hardrive. I have a folder inside of my external hardrive where I save Text Files that I create from WordPad. Right now I have been attempting to save a file to it but it says:

Access to J:\Text Documents\My Music List.rtf was denied.

I've tried various forums to help me make myself take ownership and become the administrator. Nothing helped!

I know this has got to do something with my brother doing the setup process himself because we just got this vista Monday morning. Here I am, sitting here with a window that I cannot save that I HAVE to save.

Any help please?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again...

Are you able to access other files and folders in the external drive?

wannabe1

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi.
For the most part, yes. I haven't had any trouble other than this so far.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Create a folder in that drive and save your file to that for the moment...so it's safe.

Which version of Vista are you running? It makes a difference in how we go about elevating privileges.

Have you tried to take ownership of the folder you mentioned earlier from Safe Mode?

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
32-bit if that's what you're asking, lol. Sorry if it isn't.

I haven't tried safe mode but that's a good suggestion, thanks!