Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is so slow on normal startup except in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

plip

plip

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My AC adaptor pin just broke, so I got it fixed. It worked fine at the first day. The next day, everytime I turn it on, it slows down pretty bad and sometimes I cant move the mouse. I formatted the computer and the problem is still there. It only works fine on safe mode. PLS HELLLP!!!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you give us some details about the computer? What was broken, exactly, and how did you fix that.

plip

plip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using windows XP and my computer is an acer laptop. The pin where you plug in the charger was a little bit loose, so my friend's dad replaced the pin. It worked fine the first day I used it, but now when I press ctrl+alt+del, it shows that the computer usage is 100%. I thought formatting the computer will fix it, but it is still the same.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look in Task Manager and let us know which processes are using so many resources. Please note: "System Idle Process" tells you how much cpu resources are still available for use. The higher the value, the better. Please report the values when there are no virus scans and no updates of any sort runnuing. Also, report how long it takes from the moment you power the computer to the moment that the desktop with all it's icons and tool bar shows up.

Edited by The Skeptic, 30 January 2008 - 08:53 AM.

plip

plip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now everytime I start in normal mode. it just freezes. mouse and keyboard won't function. everytime I turn it on there are two choices I have to pick both named "windows xp professional". one leads to normal startup and the other says "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem
could not read from the selected boot disk, check both parts and disk hardware
please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware
reference mauals for additional information"
In safe mode, system idle process is CPU:99 and mem usage is 16K.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that you didn't format the disk. What you did, in fact, was double installation of xp.If you wish to clean format boot the computer with your XP installation CD and when Setup shows up follow the instructions carefully.

plip

plip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I formatted everything again. Everything worked fine and I also installed all the drivers. When I restarted after installing all the drivers, it froze again and the fan kept running. I had to plug out the adaptor to shut it down and it works fine when I power on. Do you know how to keep the computer from freezing on the startup?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Does the freezing happen every time that you boot with charger plugged in? It might be that the repair of the broken pin was not very successfull.

plip

plip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is what I found out. Everytime I restart the computer it freezes the touchpad and keyboard, but when I plug in a mouse it moves and the computer fan keeps going. I have to shut it down with the power plug and when I turn it on it works fine.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter Device Manager expand "Keyboards" and "Mice and other pointing devices", right click on the items shown and choose to uninstall the drivers. Reboot and let windows find new drivers.