Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router and Modem WiFi Issue.

• Please log in to reply

fishchowder

fishchowder

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I currently have two cables. One cable is a yellow ethernet cable that is plugged into my motorola cable modem in the Ethernet slot. The opposite end is plugged into the Slot 1 slot in my Linksys wireless router. My second cable is a grey ethernet cable. One end is plugged into the back of my computer and the opposite is plugged into Slot 2 slot in my Linksys wireless router. All of the lights are on both my modem and my router as if everything is working okay. The internet works as well.
However, when I try to access my Linksys wireless settings by typing in http://192.168.1.1/ in my address bar, it says the connection has timed out. It says this each time.
Now, when I move my yellow ethernet cable, that is plugged into Slot 1, into the Internet slot in my Linksys router, and I slide my grey ethernet cable to Slot one, I restart my router and I am now about to access http://192.168.1.1/. However, though I can access these settings, I cannot browse the internet. When I go to google or any other website, it says page cannot be displayed. Therefore, I cannot easily toggle between the Linksys settings and my internet, without moving around wires and restarting my router.
I'm doing this because I'm trying to configure my router with WiFi so I can use my Nintendo DS. Can anybody tell me why I'm having such difficulty with being able to view the Linksys settings and keep my internet connection at the same time? By the way, my Linksys Wireless Router is a WRT54G. My OS is Windows XP and my cable internet service is Optimum Online.

Edited by fishchowder, 01 February 2008 - 12:39 AM.

Advertisements

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
The cable coming from the modem is supposed to be plugged in to the (PHONE or INTERNET slot) in the router and not in the slots 1-4 in your router.
because the slots 1-4 is for networking purposes (for you to connect 1 or more computers to the router). Hope this will help. :)

check this site:

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

Edited by wytboy55, 01 February 2008 - 04:37 AM.

fishchowder

fishchowder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

The cable coming from the modem is supposed to be plugged in to the (PHONE or INTERNET slot) in the router and not in the slots 1-4 in your router.
because the slots 1-4 is for networking purposes (for you to connect 1 or more computers to the router). Hope this will help. :)

check this site:

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

When I plug in the cable coming from my modem into the INTERNET slot, the internet does not work. Only the http://192.168.1.1/ page works, but every other program on my computer that needs the internet to function, does not. Is there something else I'm doing wrong? ._.

Note, when I have the wire connecting to my modem, into the INTERNET slot in my router, it says my computer is connected. My Network Connections says I am indeed connected to the internet. However, when I try to use a browser, or a program that needs the internet, it will not work. I get "Problem loading page", and when I try and run Windows Live Messenger it says my connection has been lost.

Edited by fishchowder, 01 February 2008 - 12:14 PM.

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
you said your network connections said your connected to the internet. That means the connections you are doing is correct.
However you said that you are not able to browse any websites. A router also acts like a firewall. If you have another firewall in the computer like
mcafee firewall, or norton, try to turn them off or try to disable them. You can also try uinstalling them and if the internet worked after that. Install them again. If that still didnt work. If your'e able to access the linksys GUI page by typing 192.168.1.1 on the address bar. You might need a help from a linksys tech support to disable the firewall there. You cannot use two firewalls at the same time because it will not let you connect to the internet.

You can also try to call linksys, they have a remote access feature, that will let them connect to your computer for them to setup the router configuration.
LINKSYS: 1-800-326-7114

Note: the full functionality of the router does not work if your putting the modem into slots 1-4 in the router.