Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows crashes for no reason...Help pls?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for someone to analyze the minidumps go here...
follow all the instructions...at that site BEFORE posting the logs...
you can also try the event viewer in the administrative tools in the control panel...

Advertisements

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok...when changing PSU's back to normal, I've come up with an even worse problem.

I knocked my GFX card a little (not very hard but pretty suddenly) and I'm not sure if that caused it, but no display now. No bootup screen, nothing detected on my TFT. I've vacuumed dust out of the AGP socket and changed to my old GFX card and STILL nothing coming up (no DVI nor vga).

Have I destroyed my motherboard accidentally?? Will onboard VGA sockets still work?? (I have not tried yet cos I have no cable)

I'm so worried for my PC now...

Edited by domyue, 09 February 2008 - 11:30 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to PC Pitstop. Register and run the test on your computer. Please report the results.

I am in the same league as ztruker. I don't know how to read minidumps. I invested considerable amount of time learning the technic but found it so unreliable that I just gave up on this. To be honest, and I know that I'll sound like a heretic, I regard BSODs on the same level of reliability as minidumps. Both give general, inaccurate, pretty useless information.

Regarding the voltage, it looks like the sensor is faulty. It would be interesting to see the values given in the BIOS. Enter the BIOS, look for the part in the BIOS that shows voltages and temps. Please report your finds.

The problem can be of software or hardware origin, we can't tell at this stage. You did some important tests but there are other components that can be faulty, not to mention software.

Edit: Just saw your last post. Check that all cable connections, modules and cards sit firmly in place, Special attention should be given to the large connector that attaches the psu to the main board.

Edited by The Skeptic, 09 February 2008 - 12:12 PM.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I did!! I checked with all three PSUs that I have...I've made sure that the 4-pin and the 24-pin connectors to the mobo is seated properly. I've also removed all hardware apart from the essentials (just a sata hd and mobo is powered up).

The fan on the gfx card is spinning but the numlock/caplock lights are not lighting on the keyboard. The LAN led's are on but still neither of my 2 TFTs are detecting ANYTHING!!!

Ahhhhhh I'm so stressed...have I destroyed my motherboard by shortcircuiting (I did part of the work without properly grounding..)?

Please help cos I have an assignment to hand in on tuesday!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Try to clear the cmos. Disconnect the power to the computer and pull out the cmos battery. Leave it out for about 15 minutes and reinstall. Reboot. You will probably get error messages that should be removed by setting date and time in the BIOS.

2: Try to take out the video card. If you have a repalcement, install it. If not, see if there is an on-board video connection and connect the monotor out. If this is not available too then just report if there are any beeps.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I cleared cmos and it worked!! Thanks so much, such a life saver!!

I'm going to do that pitstop thing soon, so I'll update you guys on it.

Also, BIOS registered the 12V rail to be 12.06V so some sensor is broken to get Everest to read such low values.