Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 32 bit media player and IE probs

• Please log in to reply

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi.

I recently built a new system. Q6600 quad core processor, 4GB(2 x 2gb) gskill ram, 500GB seagate hard drive, teo 8800GTS in SLI, xvga 780i Mobo.

I installed my OEM Windows vista home premium for system builders.

Had some ram issues, had to switch the dimm slots the two sticks went into. Got that resolved.

Vista looks pretty. Runs pretty smoothly.

But right from the beginning whenever i attempt to open up windows media player it opens and then a couple seconds later it gives me an error saying "Windows Media Player has stopped working".

It searches for a solution and closes.

Just yesterday i discovered that the very same thing happens whenever i use Internet Explorer to go to certain websites. Specifically Myspace.com.

The only other software i have installed on this machine is coretemp, avg, world of warcraft, and now firefox.

These problems came up before most of this was installed. So its a Vista issue/hardware issue.

And yes i have done all windows updates, GPU updates, Mobo updates.

The only thing i have not done as of yet is update my BIOS, because i was afraid i would get a worse problem and then regret doing it.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Well, A reformat will probably do the trick but some of the Tech guys will come around and probably solve your problem without any real hassle :)

However, try reinstalling windows Media Player it could be that there is a corrupt file or something. Otherwise maybe consider an alternative media player such as VLC or Media player classic.

As for explorer, I'm not sure what could be happening, is it only on those specific websites or is it random? Does it do the same in firefox? If you go here is the error similar to what you are getting? Try following the instructions if it is.

By the way though, you know that a 32Bit OS cannot read 4 GB... only ~3.2 GB of COMBINED memory meaning your ram, and GPU... so your loosing out on allot of memory there.

Edited by Suerte, 12 February 2008 - 11:46 AM.

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello, thank you for your response.

Im a little confused about the reformat suggestion, as it is a brand new machine with brand new hardware and a fresh install only a couple days old.

I know that i could download VLC or Miro but i just want to know if there is something wrong with my computer.

As far as internet explorer, it is specific websites, not random. Google, geekstogo, and most others work fine, myspace is the only one so far that causes the error. In media player any file i attempt to open, or if i just open the player itself, causes the error.

No, firefox does not have the error when i go to myspace.

Yes, im aware that my OS cant recognise all of that ram, but i may upgrade sometime in the future to a 64 bit OS, it was suggested on the hardware forum at this site that i get the 32bit for now.

Thanks for your time

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Try fixing the WMP problem first...if that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling flash player.

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
How do i fix the WMP problem?

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
You really can't uninstall windows media player as it is part of the OS, but maybe try downloading it again from Microsofts website and see if that fixes the WMP issue. As for the IE crashing, could it be that it only does that when visiting webpages(like myspace) with alot of flash and other stuff that require codecs? Like gumby said maybe install the latest version of flash player.

Im a little confused about the reformat suggestion, as it is a brand new machine with brand new hardware and a fresh install only a couple days old.

Haha well then it really wouldn't be to much of a pain, I was just assuming that WMP and IE which are part of the OS might have been corrupted and that a reformat and fresh install might fix that problem, but it was more of a last resort kind of thing.

Take my advice lightly since I can't really say any of this will help. Try googling around for "Windows Media player has stopped working error" or "Internet explorer shuts down on certain webpages". I'll look around some more though.

Edited by Suerte, 13 February 2008 - 05:52 AM.

MichaelsTheory

MichaelsTheory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I did the flash player install and update, no luck.

I googled every variation of my problem i could think of, but it seems theres bazzilions of windows error related results and i couldnt find any that specifically fit my situation.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Well maybe really consider a reformat, they are both programs that are part of the OS, if those are the only two that are giving you troubles, who knows. I was thinking it may be malware but that really doesn't explain why you are having troubles with WMP. I still think once someone with more know-how than me gets wind of this thread that you will be in much better hands, lets just consider this sort of a bump :)