Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Switch to LAN

• Please log in to reply

gabebillings

gabebillings

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I've currently got a smallish LAN setup inside my house. I've got cable internet through Comcast which goes out of the cable modem and into an aging Linksys WRT54G. I've got all the ports used up, connecting to 2 HTPCs, one desktop and a networked printer. I've also got a pair of laptops; one with internal G and the other with Draft-N.

Everything is working fine, but I'm realizing that the 100Mbps max on the router is a bottleneck when moving big files around from the fixed PCs. If I want to upgrade to gigabit networking, can I just get a 1000Mbps switch, connect it to the existing router with an ethernet cable and run all the current wires from it to the existing PCs? Or is there more to it than that?

As another option, I could just get a draft N router with 1000Mbps LAN, which wouldn't be a huge amount more than just getting a switch, and I'd have one fewer pieces of equipment for my wife to sigh about.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Nope, thats about it.

Just make sure that the router gets plugged into an auto crossover port (usually called an uplink port, or read the switch manual, quite often port 1 will do this as well). If it doesn't have the auto crossover you will need to use a crossover cable for the router connection.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Just make sure that the router gets plugged into an auto crossover port (usually called an uplink port, or read the switch manual, quite often port 1 will do this as well). If it doesn't have the auto crossover you will need to use a crossover cable for the router connection.

you actually shouldn't need a crossover or an uplink port to connect the router to the switch....in multiport "home" routers (such as the one described above) all the ports are straightthrough ports. the ports on the router aren't actually "router ports" they're ports for the built in 10/100 switch in the router...if it weren't for the built in switch...you'd need a crossover to plug your computer into the router as well

larger scale or older routers do require crossover connections but this is only for routers that are not designed with built in switches

:)

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Thanks dsenette, way to make a girl feel old and office bound :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't know why but i keep seeing a T in your name (MITCHwashere)...however mich is different ain't it? hahaha

your information is technically correct....just...slightly out of date

gabebillings

gabebillings

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the info!

I've got a follow up question. Let's say I've got all the ports on the gigabit switch filled, but still have one or two things plugged into the original router. All devices plugged into the gigabit switch will have a gigabit connection to one another, but will still be still be bottlenecked by the 100Mbps connection when transmitting to anything plugged into the router, correct?

That includes the internet connection, but that doesn't matter since it's never going to get even close to the 100Mbps connecting it to the switch.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
everything you just said is true.....so only put 10/100 devices (if possible) to the router directly...since those won't get the advantages that the gigabit switch would provide