Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i think we can rule out the page file now, since Paint still will not run with the size maxed....it was maxed, liloltiredblood, correct?

I understand your logic, I just think that there is no harm in setting it to max since your swap file will not grow beyond your initial minimum unless you run out of ram...setting a max at the available space just tells windows, hey, take what you want and give it back to me when you don't need it anymore. Windows 2000 and XP are far more intelligent about pagefile optimization.

Anyway, since the pagefile does not appear to be the problem, how about a runaway cache? Since someone tweaked the pagefile, perhaps they dredged up those old system.ini file settings, so let's go there next

liloltiredblood,

Start > run
system.ini

cut and paste it here.

and btw, how much ram do you have?

Advertisements

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey SOrry guys, that ihavent been able to check this for awhile because my internet keeps shutting down on me....but hwen i go home ill try and see if i can get on....oh and i accidently uninstaled my psi audio drive or something..... :tazz: ;)
ill read from you guys later

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Alright, I don't know how much time I have on the net, cuase it shuts off on its own. I checked my RAM and it says "122, 352 KB RAM" what ever that means....but as I read from both you, I get so confused...I don't know what to do, as I read them....it's just....I don't understand any of it....you both say do this and do that, but as I read it....and I might do something wrong....
I think I changed the maximum settings...I kept trying and trying...I took both of your guys advice but neither of them was working....
you both can call me "TB" for short...or "LTB"

; for 16-bit app support

[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv

[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON

Hey Gerr...thers waht yah asked for...

read from you guys later....
jus me

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sorry, I am having a busy weekend, when I have the time I will carefully read waht you both posted.

read from you laterz :tazz:

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey, Guess what, I got my audio working....YAY....took me a while to do that.....
shall I even fix my paint?????

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey,
I just have a question? Does this seem to be right.

For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.
Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

I'll read from someone later.....hopefully

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey Jr & Gerr,

I really want to thank you both for really helping me out.

Jr. I had read most of the "pagefile" link that you have sent me, and it is very helpful. I am going to have to finish reading it tomorrow sometime. I just had to take the time and sit here and actually read the whole thing.

I will post again and let you guys know how all goes with it.

read from u laterz....

jus me :tazz: