Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help...I Messed Up My Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply

niteridr

niteridr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI.....I HAVE A PROBLEM I WAS HOPING SOMEONE COULD HELP ME OUT WITH. IT ALL STARTED WHEN I PUT A NEW SD CARD INTO MY EXTERNAL CARD READER.
WELL THE CARD READER DIDN’T RECOGNIZE IT SO I DID A SEARCH TO SEE IF I COULD FIND SOME HELP WITH THAT.
I MUST SAY I KNOW JUST ENOUGH TO GET ME INTO TROUBLE SOMETIMES.
ANYWAY I READ THAT ALL I HAD TO DO WAS TO GO INTO MY DISK MANAGEMENT AND CHANGE THE DRIVE LETTER.
WELL I DID THAT BEING KIND OF HESITANT ABOUT DOING SO, AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED.
MY PROBLEM IS THAT NOW I SHOW (2) LOCAL DISKS UNDER HARD DISK DRIVES WHEN I LOOK AT MY COMPUTER.
IT SHOWS (4.65) GB AND HEALTHY WHEN I SEE IT IN DISK MANAGEMENT, BUT WHEN I LOOK IN THE PROPERTIES IT SAYS THE FILE SYSTEM IS RAW WITH (0) BYTES.
I’M NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT I DID BUT I’M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED EVEN THOUGH MY COMPUTER SEEMS TO WORK NORMALLY.
THE ONLY THING I DID NOTICE IS THAT I CAN’T RESTORE IT UNLESS IT’S IN SAFE MODE NOW.
I GUESS MY QUESTION IS CAN I GET RID OF THIS LOCAL DISK WHICH I GUESS IS CONSIDERED A PARTITION WITHOUT GETTING RID OF EVERYTHING ON MY HARD DRIVE?
I KNOW I COULD JUST LEAVE IT ALONE CONSIDERING THE COMPUTER PRETTY MUCH WORKS OK BUT IT JUST BOTHERS ME.

ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED…THANKS GARY

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Gary,

When you type in all caps it looks like you're yelling at us :) makes people a little less inclined to answer you.

You can format the raw drive to be able to use the space. You're pretty much stuck with it unless you use something like partition magic since the other drive is your main system drive things get a little complicated when it comes to changing the partitions