Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help, i need to save a lost file!

• Please log in to reply

cec

cec

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello, i don't know much about computers but need help! I typed a very impratnt work document on my computer that took me months, and stupidly have lost the disc. i dropped a cup of tea and the repair man says because it'sa laptop it's ruined.

i am desperate to save this document, he says it is still on the computer, but as it's a "five-year hard drive", he plugged it into something, and cannot retrieve it (but the computer is only two years old?)

any ideas please - is there some secrete recipe to retrieving this (i still have the recovery disk but presume this would wipe it) - is it unretrievable or is it worth my going to another repair man - would some experts be able to get this document off - otherwise it's months of work and research all over again.

thanks very much!

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
proving the hdd works still u can buy a cable (which retails around $15 i think) which will allow u to plug it into a normal pc and then u should be able to acess the document.

cec

cec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi thanks very much, this would not be the same as what the man in the store did (he said he plugged it into something and nothing happened?) do you know what this is called that I buy - is it sold in England?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh they are available here in england as im in england i am not sure of the name to be honest.

cec

cec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, thanks very much, i;ll try looking tomorrow!