Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Right Click Start Menu!

• Please log in to reply

ThinkVision

ThinkVision

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I've been trying to solve this problem for well over a week now. The thing is, I just can't right click my start menu to unpin/pin objects/ remove or anything on it. I also can't right click the "all programs" list as well. I've looked over the internet and the obvious solution was to:

Right click Start -> Properties -> Start menu -> Customize -> Advanced -> enable right click...

The simple fact is that I don't have that option:

Posted Image

I think I am missing a registry key. Please somebody help me! And yes, I'm using Microsoft Windows XP SP2. I'm using an IBM ThinkVision which is a year old, so I don't think I'm running outdated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no "enable right-click" option in that box. I've never seen it in four years of using Windows XP. Any such option will have been added at a later time.

Anyway Google a utility called TweakUI. Make sure you get the one for Windows XP and not an older one. This tool will let you toggle or untoggle right clickability on the Start Menu.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What about this: http://www.pctools.c...try/detail/445/

ThinkVision

ThinkVision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I appreciate the replies, but none of the answers provided helped me :) Please, can somebody solve this for me!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to restore the system to a date before the problem started.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try right click on the taskbar, chose Properties then Start Menu in the top. Customize, Advanced,

then Enable dragging and dropping.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the fix here: Restore Right Click Properties

Scroll down to #203, right side.

ThinkVision

ThinkVision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks again, but hary, as you can see from my dialog box above, I simply don't have that option.

Ztruker, I've downloaded the registry file, but I'm stuck from that point. The website says that if I double click the file it should prompt me, but it doesn't, instead it opens notepad.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The file should be called restoreproperties.reg.
Does it have the .reg file extension on your computer?

If yes, try right clicking on it and if there is a Merge listed, select it.

If not, rename it to restoreproperties.reg then double click on it or right click and select Merge.

ThinkVision

ThinkVision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted Image

When I click 'Merge', my computer does nothing. Absolutely nothing. It displays the mouse with an hourglass, but after that, it does nothing. I've tried to right click the start menu from that point, and still, no success.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you start regedit?

Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter.
Click on File then Import.
Navigate to the restoreproperties.reg file and double click on it. See if that works.

Before you make any changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

ThinkVision

ThinkVision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for all your help so far, but still no luck:

Posted Image

Even after adding the reg file to the registry, it still does not work :\

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
in your run command

type this in

main.cpl

under buttons is the button configuration unchecked...switch to primary functions

Edited by Mr Freeze, 03 April 2008 - 08:58 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
have you tried to restore the system to a previous date like I suggested before? It's the simplest of operation.

If that doesn't help insert XP installation cd into the drive and click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let the process run to the end at which the dialog box will just disappear. Reboot.

Dat77

Dat77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, the fix for me was to: Right Click the Taskbar, Click on the Tab Start Menu, Customize, Advanced and the click on the option to Enable dragging and dropping.

Hope that helps