Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Codecs to make wmp11 play ANY audio/video format?

• Please log in to reply

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'd like to install a codec o codec pack that will enable me to play any audio or video file with the WMP11 regardless of the format, or at least play as many formats as possible, (including Real and QuickTime files and DVDs).

I've been told about "Storm Codec" and it sounds pretty much what I want. Others recommend "k-lite".

What I want is just to make my WMP11 my universal player for all files including those that need other special players.

Could you please recommend some codes or code packs? What about Storm Codec and k-lite?

Thanks

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

There is also CCCP (Combined Community Codec Package) which is a very good pack and has played every file I have including .AVI .MKV .MP4 and the normal ones.

Good luck,

Mike

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
EagerToLearn,

First understand that there a WAR out there between Microsoft, Apple, RealNetworks and other media giants in the market. They all want THEIR format to be the DOMINANT format on whatever operating system you're running. That said - barring user patched and unsupported warez CODECs out there - you're NOT going to find a SINGLE CODEC pack that is going to allow you to play ALL formats under Windows Media Player.

There are old "legacy" versions of WMP - which with the proper CODECS installed WILL allow you to play Apple's QuickTime video format as well as RealNetwork's RM formats. This player is very limited in functionality and not supported.

If you're running WMP on Windows XP, I would recommend downloading and instaling the the XP Codec Pack v1.3.4 found at http://www.xpcodcpack.com/

While this will not allow you to play proprietary Apple or Real Networks content - it WILL patch your WMP player with CODECS sufficient to play just about every OTHER type of media that's out there.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

Edwin Phate

Edwin Phate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
its actually www.xpcodecpack.com you missed the "e"

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Edwin Phate,

Sorry about the mis-spelled URL. Anyways - did this help? I've found that his CODEC pack will allow you to play just about anything supportable under WMP. I've only tested this CODEC pack on XP - NOT VISTA!

Anyways - hope this was able to help you.

- John

uberg

uberg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

EagerToLearn,

First understand that there a WAR out there between Microsoft, Apple, RealNetworks and other media giants in the market. They all want THEIR format to be the DOMINANT format on whatever operating system you're running. That said - barring user patched and unsupported warez CODECs out there - you're NOT going to find a SINGLE CODEC pack that is going to allow you to play ALL formats under Windows Media Player.

There are old "legacy" versions of WMP - which with the proper CODECS installed WILL allow you to play Apple's QuickTime video format as well as RealNetwork's RM formats. This player is very limited in functionality and not supported.

If you're running WMP on Windows XP, I would recommend downloading and instaling the the XP Codec Pack v1.3.4 found at http://www.xpcodcpack.com/

While this will not allow you to play proprietary Apple or Real Networks content - it WILL patch your WMP player with CODECS sufficient to play just about every OTHER type of media that's out there.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
To play almost any video grab the divx codec at www.divx.com. The installation will ask you to install their player through setup but deselect it as you only want the codec. But look if your trying to play any media file out there that exists just grab VLC PLayer. It can play anyone on this earth and upgraded versions are getting better. The GUI doesn't look too sleek but it's a great player!

You can get it here for free: http://www.download....cdlPid=10827225

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanx for the info guys

i really apreciate it :)