Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Have a Vision

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all,

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
An "epiphany", according to wikipedia, is "the sudden realization or comprehension of the essence or meaning of something. The term is used in either a philosophical or literal sense to signify that the
claimant has "found the last piece of the puzzle and now sees the whole picture," or has new information or experience, often insignificant by itself, that illuminates a deeper or numinous foundational frame of reference."

The important thing is that you recognize what could be improved in your life, and are taking positive steps to get to your goals. You can never go wrong with education, even if you become a master of networking and end up collecting butterflies. Skills you have learned with your old jobs will help you with your future plans. Education is an investment that always pays off, even if you end up learning that you like something else better.

Spending time with family is also important, and you won't be one of those dads that wakes up at age 50 realizing he doesn't know his kids, and they don't like him anyway. I know some fathers like that, and they are sad and have regrets. You sound like you have your priorities in order, and have a good future ahead of you. Congratulations on the decision to go to school!

Best of luck to you!
Johanna

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Thanks Johanna!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

will most probably major in Networking, as this is where I can see myself working in my vision. Networking is not a great strength of mine, and I have no experience in any form of corporate role

that's where i started...i didn't know MUCH about networking (and by much i mean next to nothing) but i know computers and their functionality etc.....i went into networking at ITT....my general knowledge of computers and hardware translated immediately into networking and gave me a leg up...it's a great field to work in if you can get a job (the US market tends to be saturated with us network jockies) but as i understand it...alot of australia is finally being populated and developed so you should be having a new job market opening up every day......which is the best time to get into a new field....on the upswing

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Best of luck Troy ... and hey, you have to be accepted ... it's all part of your vision and you already see yourself having achieved it five years from now ... so it's already happened :)

shawandamom

shawandamom

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Troy,

I found your original post inspiring and I am sitting here weeping as I type this. I personally have struggled with the "What am I going to be when I grow up" question over and over. I am 33 and a stay at home mom/wife. I help my husband run our business and try to keep up with my boys! I have 4 children, 2 girls in school, and I have stayed home with them since just before the second was born, almost 8 years ago.

I love my children, I love my husband, I love taking care of our home and I am willing to continue to do so and to continue managing the office end of our business while my husband is out with clients...however, I feel like my brain has turned to mush and I want to challenge it a bit, also feeling that there is that ever elusive "something more" that I am supposed to do with my life.

I guess I am just bowled over by your description of your vision and goals. Congratulations on your application as well! I just wanted to know that your post was very touching. I will definitely be checking back for updates! Congratulations on your little Reuben as well....children are more work than anything I've ever encountered, but they are also more rewarding than anything I've ever encountered. It is truly a special love that words can never capture completely.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Troy,

Best of luck with your studies! Education is a wonderful thing. I'm currently 21 years old and working on my Bachelors in CS. (Possibly my Master's afterwards)

-Fade

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Cheers

Troy

shawandamom

shawandamom

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Troy,

Your wife and I have scrapbooking in common...I am a little behind, but some friends and I get together fairly regularly to work on our books.

I don't truly know that your post "inspired" me. It was more that it moved me, it touched me. I suppose I am a bit envious of your clarity and direction! Although I never, ever run out of things to do, I often lack the direction I could feel in your life! I don't know that I truly want to finish college right now or something along those lines...I suppose I feel more like I "should". I need to stop "shoulding" myself.

I think I am personally getting to a point where I am just fed up with apologizing for my life, LOL. And, although this is NOT the fault of others, it has to do with what other mothers say to me. "Oh, you're so LUCKY to stay home with your kids" or if they are other stay-at-home moms, then comments about not having at least a 4-year college degree...I truly do know that the reason these things bother me is because I LET THEM, not because I need to apologize. I chose to not finish college because I wanted to spend my time with my babies, and I was pregnant when I finished my last class for my 2-year degree.

I think maybe some of my feelings of a lack of direction have to do with that choice...but as I have thought about what you wrote and examined my own thoughts, I have realized that the choice, the direction of raising confident, happy children is enough of a direction...so, Troy, in this moment, thinking of your vision has made me realize that I am, in fact, fulfilling my own vision! Thank you!

Edited by shawandamom, 19 May 2008 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

the direction of raising confident, happy children is enough of a direction

Hi again,

This is - of course - the most important direction, in my opinion. The world needs more of this.

Cheers

Troy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well just another update, to anyone who cares...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But I'm not going to ask for you to do my homework! and by you...i mean everyone else but DSenette....he's going to be doing all my homework

fixt :)

great choice....i think you'll have fun with it

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Congratulations Troy! :) I'm sure you'll do great! :)

Regards,
Olrik

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Congrats Troy and I trust you'll enjoy your new direction. :)