Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card - Maximum resolution (external)?

• Please log in to reply

joelbur

joelbur

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry if this question has been asked before, I tried searching but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have a Zotac Nvidia Geforce fx5200 256mb PCI graphics card - with two outputs. I currently run 2x 1024x768 monitors - and everything works fine.

I wanted to upgrade to two 19inch widescreen monitors, with a resolution of 1440x900 (Samsung (syncmaster) SM931bw) and wanted to make sure that they would be compatible with my video card. (They are priced at around £160)

When looking at the specs of the video card, it states - " Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536". So could I run 2x 1440 x 900? What does it mean by 'external'?

Problem is, I have received two different answers - some say that 2x 1440x900 would be a total resolution of 2880x900, and so it wouldn't be compatible. But some say that "2048 x 1536" is the max resolution for each monitor output, so it should work fine.

What would you say - will it let me or won't it? I'd really like to know before I buy them; I don't want to spend £300 on two monitors that won't even work.

Thanks
Joel

Edited by joelbur, 06 April 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The FX5200 is an old card now in terms of technology and you may well find it'll struggle to keep drawing the screen at such a high resolutions - it'll have more to do.

What exactly do you want to do please? Do you want to stretch your desktop over two monitors or do you want to do something else?

joelbur

joelbur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was planning on using them how I currently do - by having the second monitor as an extended desktop (dualview) and using ultramon to fix the taskbar issues.

Does anyone not know what it means by 'external' resolution then? If it exceeds the maximum resolution, surely it won't work at all? Or have I got that wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Joel