Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updating video driver

• Please log in to reply

ykky

ykky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
right but what about this driver "8-3_xp32-64_sb_59746.exe" that i had first mentioned- i found it off a site that has different driver downloads but i cant seem to find a link that will actually let me use it - the site i found it on said it would work for my card

Advertisements

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

right but what about this driver "8-3_xp32-64_sb_59746.exe" that i had first mentioned- i found it off a site that has different driver downloads but i cant seem to find a link that will actually let me use it - the site i found it on said it would work for my card

Do you even know when that driver was written? It's probably not any newer than any of the other ones I found. Even if the driver works, you do not know if it is better than the one you already have.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith, 13 April 2008 - 04:15 AM.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
This website has that particular driver you mentioned. It is a russian website.http://www.filesearc...pub/drivers/ati Scroll down to file number 302. According to the webpage, it was listed on 3-10-2008. Who knows, maybe it will work for you. --Sarah Jane Smith

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings all

kaz- is the bottlenecking from the computer being to fast for the video card or the video card to fast for the computer

Means it is a slow cpu by current standards. Too slow to run oblivion well.

Bottle neck: bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is severely limited by a single component.

Means it is as fast as it is going to get.
It will not get better.
It is at its maximum.
It has reached it limit.
Suitable for certain tasks only.
Not upgradeable

If you read what I posted about the requirements of the Oblivion game, It stated a 2 ghz as minimum. You have a 1.7 ghz chip.

If you have something less that what is required you are limited.

You made up for a bit of the requirement by upping the ram from 512 to 1gb to make minimum ram needs.

burning my computer out with oblivion

You mean you might be using up all of the resources your computer has to offer at the moment. Yes. Understand A application does not BURN anything. It just runs and uses resources. Cpu, Ram, Drive space.

Sounds like you are getting more to the root of your issue, the computer is not running as well as it once does.

lately the cpu usage goes up to 100% just from running one tab on mozilla from youtube when i was previously able to run 5 without a problem could i be burning my computer out with oblivion?

The only answer for that is get more and better performing resources or remove applications so less is running.

Brings us full circle again, you cant change your cpu, you cant change your video card. You can add some memory and a bigger harddrive. But your laptop is what it is.

Regards

Kaz.

ykky

ykky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well i guess for now then im stuck with the computer i have- what i meant by burning out the computer is that when i run oblivion (in the patch there is an option to run it at an extremely low setting) the computer gets really hot so i was worried that i might be melting things or at least causing the computer to be less stable in general- i have sandra its like everest but i think it gives more information and advice and one of the options there is to test the hardware but it warns that doing so may make it any problems worse because it stresses everything so i thought maybe oblivion is stressing the computer- although the requirements are higher then what i have i found that either using "oldblivion" or with the new patch running oblivion on its lowest setting i can still run a passable game albeit with lagging at times
when you mentioned about bottlenecking i meant which is the cause of the bottleneck is the cpu the cause of the bottleneck or the video card but i guess from what you wrote that its the cpu