Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Vista Without Actual CD

• Please log in to reply

ak03

ak03

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So I got to wondering today if I could download a trail version of Vista Home Premium from somewhere to use on My First Computer Build. Then activate the copy of vista with a serial key that came from my old computer with vista on it.

*I heard that you couldn't install vista on a new pc with a re installation disk from dell. Is this true?

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there ak03 and welcome to geeks to go

You cannot download a trial version of Vista Home Premium however you can buy a copy from Microsofts Vista website.

Only 1 key is allowed per machine so you won't be able to transfer that to your new machine.

I hope that has helped you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ak03...

What you are wanting to do is seen as piracy. The operating systems that come preinstalled on brand name machines are OEM versions and are linked to the hardware configurations specific to the machines they are installed on. They will not be validated if installed on a different machine. Vista (or any other MS operating system) is not available as a trial download and I would be highly suspect of any that you may find available on the internet...they may contain all kinds of malware that you definitely do not want installed on your computer.

That being said, there are OEM versions of Vista available from most online retailers that will be legal to install providing you install only to a single machine. Tiger Direct and Newegg both offer such versions at substantially lower prices than retail versions of Vista.

wannabe1

ak03

ak03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you both for your reply's. I guess that I'll have to buy another vista disk, which is retarded when I already have it on a existing machine. Anyways that you for that info and please check out my computer build and make suggestions to it.