Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bagle Virus Infection

• Please log in to reply

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
You have been using McAffee AV right? If you cannot reinstall, would you like me to give you a choice of very good free AV's to replace it with? I personnaly use a free AV by the way, just in case you don't trust them.

My mistake about the Wireless Zero, I have a Dell and automatically thought of the Dell version. We may have to look at downloading new drivers if you don't have the installation disks.

When you uninstall Combofix, it will reset your system restore, so lets see if that clears the System Restore problem up.

Advertisements

TurnerT2

TurnerT2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I also use free antivirus on all my personal PC's. This is my Work Laptop so they use McAffee so they can install the updates remotely through the VPN. I am just going to uninstall if I can't get the System Resore to work. I would really like to have that functionality back though.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
OK, lets see how it goes after you have run the Combofix uninstall.

TurnerT2

TurnerT2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
How's it going? I have fixed the issue with the wireless. I found that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndisuio was set to 4. I changed it to 1, restarted the computer and everything was good there. My windows firewall is back up and running also. As far as the issue with McAfee, I said screw it and uninstalled it and installed AVG 8. If the IT department has something to say about it whatever. At least the computer is protected now. I am not sure about the system restore, but I guess I will have to worry about that when the time comes to have to use it unless you know of a way to test functionality without actually running it. Thanks again for all the help RatHat.

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts

I found that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ndisuio was set to 4. I changed it to 1, restarted the computer and everything was good there.

You should join GeekU! :)

OK, next thing to do is to remove any other tools and the logs they have produced. Should you ever get infected again, you would need to download new versions.

Now I'm not sure if you can install protective software with the company computer, but here's some good anti spyware:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place. A tutorial can be found here.
  • SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute. A tutorial can be found here.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email. A tutorial can be found here.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy a powerful tool which can "search and destroy" nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections. A tutorial can be found here.
  • AdAware another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. A tutorial can be found here. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.

Note: If you find your system slows down after installing any of these, just uninstall it, or disable it from running at startup.

I will keep this log open for the next couple of days, so if you have any further problems post another reply here.

OK, all the best, and stay safe!

Best regards,
RatHat