Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing Vista on new 750 GB hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Yucko

Yucko

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I’ve been trying to install my new Sata 750GB Seagate hard drive but I’ve been running into some issues. I started to installing Vista Ultimate on it. Once it started to boot from the cd an error blue screen came up saying check the new hard ware installed. I kept on getting that message. I popped the other hard drive back in to see if the drive was bad and got the same message. Then I put the new one back in and decided to try my other Vista cd and this one installed. I have 2 hard drives installed and both are partitioned. I installed Vista on the C drive and grabbed all the Vista updates. But after grabbing all the updates I noticed that some “page files” had been installed on the D drive and I could no longer format the drive thru Vista or change the drive letter. These page files were not there after a clean install of Vista. Only after getting the updates.How and why does this happen when I’m installing everything to the C drive. Is this normal? Lastly, I shut down my computer the last 2 nites and when I started it the next day I got a screen saying Windows could not be started. I pressed enter and came to another black screen showing the name of the operating system so I hit enter and everything started up normally. I’ve gotten this start error twice after the pc was shut down overnite. But when I do a restart of shutdown and restart it starts up fine. When it’s off a few hours I seem to get that message.

Advertisements

bmc2k7

bmc2k7

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Remove the drive that doesn't have vista on it. If vista fails to start, run start up repair. It's a nifty feature, and does a good job. It is located on the vista disc. It should start up now. Format or Boot nuke the other drive and replace it. All should be good to go.