Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should My Parents Switch To Linux?

• Please log in to reply

Phriend

Phriend

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My parents are currently running Windows ME (on their Pentium III machine).

To make a long story short, they've had all kinds of computer troubles.

I recently heard that it might be better to switch them to Linux. That said:

1) My parents are computing novices who only know how to perform basic tasks. Will Linux be too advanced for them?
2) Will Linux even run on a Pentium III machine that was made about six or seven years ago? :)

Advertisements

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
My Mother is always getting into computer trouble, so I installed Ubuntu onto her system, and put the shortcut icon "Internet" on the desktop. She hasn't had troubles since. Linux is pretty hard to screw up if you're not installing or configuring it.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's a little unfair of your parents to condemn Windows across the board, based solely on their experiences with Windows ME. That was by a country mile the worst version of Windows that MS ever produced, and considering it was supposed to be an "upgrade" from Windows 98SE was an insult to that excellent Windows version which many people still use today. Any PC which can run ME can run 98SE instead, so there's no need to go down the unfamiliar Linux road. Windows 98SE can be found in the private ads of computer magazines as well as online vendors (try 'Googling' it).

Just be aware that switching to Linux may mean your folks having to forego some of their favourite Windows applications that won't run on Linux, and they'll need Linux device drivers for things like printer or scanner.

Edited by pip22, 04 May 2008 - 07:19 AM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I think Windows is easier than Linux for novices user .

Phriend

Phriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Linux is pretty hard to screw up if you're not installing or configuring it.

Hmmmm..... is Linux a pain to install or something?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You parents would have no more difficulty learning Linux than they would XP or Vista. It's more a question of the right choice. I'm using PCLinuxOS myself now, one of the easiest versions to use and install for previous Windows users. Most newer versions of Linux need at least 256mb of memory and will do better with more. Another good version is Mepis. There are also lightweight versions of Mepis and PCLinux suitable for machines with less memory.

My suggestion would be to start getting acquainted with Linux as it will run very well on older machines that will not support Vista and let them have a usual life of several more years. It also runs very fast on newer machines BTW.

Phriend

Phriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks, I didn't even realize that there were different versions of Linux. What do you think is the best version for my parents to run? They currently have an Intel Pentium III processor with only 384MB of RAM.

Any ideas?

Edited by Phriend, 04 May 2008 - 03:41 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
On the right hand side of this page you will find a list of the most popular versions of Linux, ranked by page hits, which doesn't really mean much. You can go to the home pages of the different versions, and also any forums, by clicking on the links. You can also look at screen shots of the desktops to get an idea of what you may like. Almost all of the top ones are "live CDs" that let you try the system out by booting up the CD. You just burn the downloaded .iso file as an image to make the live CD.

http://distrowatch.com/

Edited by Tyger, 04 May 2008 - 08:07 PM.

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Linux is pretty hard to screw up if you're not installing or configuring it.

Hmmmm..... is Linux a pain to install or something?

No I'm just saying that your parents most likely won't screw up the computer as long as they're not installing or configuring it.

Thanks, I didn't even realize that there were different versions of Linux. What do you think is the best version for my parents to run? They currently have an Intel Pentium III processor with only 384MB of RAM.

Any ideas?

Sorry to say, but since your computer is so.... Uhm... 'aged', I'd reccomend installing Debian with a window manager like XFCE. If you find that too complicated, I reccomend using Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with XFCE pre-installed.

Edited by lem.rar, 04 May 2008 - 07:16 PM.