Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No plug & Play - Restore points do not work [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi :) ,

Thanks for your help, and all the time and effort.

I am beginning to think that I should either go through the XP repair procedure, or purchase a new computer. Perhaps someone can advise if they think that the repair would clear my problem.

Thanks again and farewell JSntgRvr.

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Thanks for your help, and all the time and effort.

I am beginning to think that I should either go through the XP repair procedure, or purchase a new computer. Perhaps someone can advise if they think that the repair would clear my problem.

Thanks again and farewell JSntgRvr.

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

A repair install is one of the last options I would use. Same for reformating and a clean install. As long as there is a chance to reverse the problem, I wouldn't recommend it.

All services are up and running. Chances are that there is a corruption in your registry due to your attempt to install the External drive.

Check you Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel and remove all software that was included with those drives you attempted to install, remove all peripherals , then restart and test.

If I may suggest, whenever you need to install new programs and hardware, backup your registry. Many computers fail to boot after such an installation.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

OK I will hang in there.

I only started to get the blue screen problem after I followed the step from TAL on May 14 where he had me include this in the register:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c1d54748-cb69-11d9-aa46-000e5059a2c5}]

Since then I have always had to bootup using F8.

I have now tested the restore routine and that is working OK now.

I will try your last suggestion tomorrow. I have had enough for today.

Thanks I will report again tomorrow.

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

OK I will hang in there.

I only started to get the blue screen problem after I followed the step from TAL on May 14 where he had me include this in the register:

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c1d54748-cb69-11d9-aa46-000e5059a2c5}]

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

The mountpoint removed could respond to the device you have a conflict with. You must remove this device and all software installed therefor, including the software for the devices that failed to install.

Keep me posted.

I would like to see a Device Manager screen-shot without the yellow conflict.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi :),

I have tried rebooting without any peripherals connected, I removed all redundant programs, but the plug and play still does not work. When I connect the hard drive the device manager show it with the yellow ?, and it does not show on the My Computer screen. (It never has). Apart from the blue screens, it is the only problem that I have left.

Thanks,
Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, Geekimnot :)

Let me take a deeper look:

Download OTScanit.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named OTScanit on your desktop. OTScanit can be detected as malware by your firewall and Ativirus. Chose Ignore on any warning alert.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Open the OTScanit folder and double-click on OTScanit.exe to start the program.
  • Leave all settings as they appear as default, except for the following:
  • Under Drivers, select "Non microsoft".
  • Under Rootkit Search, select Yes
  • Under additional Scan select the following:
    • Uncheck "Non Microsoft Only".
    • Reg: Botcheck
    • Reg: Controls sets
    • Reg: File Associations
    • Reg: Mountpoints2
    • Reg: Security Settings
    • Reg: Software Policy Settings
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • The program will be scanning huge amounts of data so depending on your system it could take a long time to complete. Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Save that notepad file
Use the Reply button and attach the notepad file here (Do not copy and paste in a reply, rather attach it to it).

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi :),

Thanks for not giving up on me.

File too large to attach, so I have split in two, OTScanIt_1 & 2

First is here, will post another reply with the other one.

Cheers,

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

Attached Files

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Second file.

Cheers,

Ian

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Before continuing, please use Combofix to install the Recovery Console.

Go to Microsoft's website => http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
Select the download that's appropriate for your Operating System. Download this file to your desktop, next to Combofix.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now close all open windows and programs, then drag the setup package onto ComboFix.exe and drop it. Follow the prompts to start ComboFix and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Recovery Console. When completed, a log named CF_RC.txt will open. Please post the contents of that log.

When the Recovery Console is installed you will see a menu at startup where you can select your Windows Installation and the Recovery Console. The Recovery Console is an important tool and should be used by qualified users.

OK I will hang in there.

REGEDIT4

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

Before TAL asked you to run the above registry script, he asked you to backup your registry to your Root Directory. The file is located at:

C:\registrybackup.reg

Merging this file into your Registry should reverse the script action.

Using Windows Explorer (To get there right click on the Start button and select "Explore"), navigate to the C:\ folder, locate the registrybackup.reg file. Double click on this file and when asked to merge it into the computer, select Yes.

Restart the computer. Let me know if that takes care of the BSOD.

Questions:

When you remove the External Hard Drive and then attempt to install the device, does Windows detects the device as new hardware? Have you tried to update the driver throughout the Device manager?

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi :)

I have run the recovery console. I chose the SP2 option, my computer came with SP2 installed.

Here is the log

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Registry

I backed up the registry, and for the first time in two weeks the computer booted without the BSOD.

External drives

Th WD drive has pre installed drive software, it is supposed to extract when plugged in.

The yellow ? is still present, and the drive is not recogised. I get the "New hardware found" popup and a wizard box opens to install the driver. This should not happen. I cannot get the wizard to link to the program because the drive is not recognised in "My Computer" and the software is within the drive.

With the previous Go Vault drives it was different, the software was seperate and I could try to link it to the drive but this did not work either.

This is the last known problem now, so fingers crossed that it can be cleared.

Thanks,

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Th WD drive has pre installed drive software, it is supposed to extract when plugged in.

The yellow ? is still present, and the drive is not recogised. I get the "New hardware found" popup and a wizard box opens to install the driver. This should not happen. I cannot get the wizard to link to the program because the drive is not recognised in "My Computer" and the software is within the drive.

Ah! We are now understanding each other better, The Plug and Play is working. What is not installing is the drive. Perhaps it is due to an Autorun.inf file that is missing, thus unable to install.

Before I asked you to run Combofix, did you ever run this program before?

Please run this command:

CMD /C Dir /a /s C:\Autorun.inf*>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\Report.txt"

It should produce a Report.txt file on your desktop. Open this file in Notepad and post its contents.

Post as much information about this drive (The entire specifications). Perhaps we may be able to locate a driver for you.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Run this command also and post the contents of the Report_2.txt (Copy and Paste into the Run command window):

[codebox]CMD /C Reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenTVersion\policies\Explorer" /s>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\Report_2.txt"[/codebox]

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi, :) ,

Combofix

I ran Combofix on May 24 see log in post #28, and also see May 29 post #29.

I was asked to run Kaspersky but Internet Explorer will not connect to the internet. Firefox and AOL do so OK.

Report 1
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 4441-2D71

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\I an Aitken\My Documents\Downloads\000508_1038 (F)

25/10/1999 11:53 40 AUTORUN.INF
1 File(s) 40 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Memories Disc\coregen

26/02/2002 14:24 44 AUTORUN.INF
1 File(s) 44 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\vso\copytodvd\vmp

31/08/2003 19:31 41 autorun.inf
1 File(s) 41 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\vso\copytodvd\vsoshow

23/07/2003 18:14 27 autorun.inf
1 File(s) 27 bytes

Total Files Listed:
4 File(s) 152 bytes
0 Dir(s) 30,371,069,952 bytes free

Report 2

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenTVersion\policies\Explorer
NoCDBurning REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenTVersion\policies\Explorer\run

Driver

I have been looking at a Driver Guide forum, see the link. They seem to say that driver is not required. The drive when connected to Windows XP should just plug and play. Please note that I have an ultra short cable (6 inches).

http://forums.driver...ead.php?t=38138

External Hard Drive

WD Passport External Hard Drive

Model: WD1200U017-005

120GB

Compatibility
  • Available USB port
  • Windows 2000/XP/Vista

That is all the detail that I can find for this drive.

Thanks,

Ian Aitken
Geekimnot

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Please run this command:

CMD /C Dir /a /s C:\Windows\usbstor.inf>"%Userprofile%\Desktop\Report.txt"

It should replace the Report.txt file on your desktop. Open this file in Notepad and post its contents.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi,

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 4441-2D71

Directory of C:\Windows\INF

04/08/2004 06:00 14,578 USBSTOR.INF
1 File(s) 14,578 bytes

Total Files Listed: