Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Entertainment Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Archy88

Archy88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Afternoon!

I would like to build a computer(or possibly buy one) to connect with my DLP television for home entertainment purposes...movies, music, pictures and possibly a tiny bit of gaming. Along with internet usage.

Budget: $1000(lower if possible)
Needs:
Blu-Ray/DVD drive
At least a DVD burner...blu-ray/dvd combo?
Photo memory card reader
Video Card/ Sound card to support high resolution video & audio(5.1 surround)
Preferably 2 Hard Drives...small one dedicated for OS, large one to store pictures, music, movies. Maybe use an external HD instead?
VGA output(tv does not have hdmi)
Bluetooth
DVR?
I prefer vista...

Hard Drives...100gb OS, 300-500 media
RAM...as much as needed, was thinking at least 2gb

I've built the computer I am working on but it was about 3 or 4 years ago, so the technology has certainly improved. I really feel out of the loop now when I try and piece this together. I would really appreciate it if someone could piece together a system using these ideas, and throw in their own suggestions to fully utilize the system(record tv, communicate with other devices, more RAM, etc...)

I currently have a Creative Audigy 2zs and I think I MAY have gone a bit excessive as I simply have a small set of logitech speakers. I might consider switching that to the new computer & downgrading the one in the current PC.

Would everyone recommend a tower, vs a laydown case? The laydown case would fit alot better in the entertainment center...but the tower seems easier to arrange everything.

Thanks a ton

I'll be checking back periodically to answer any questions that may arise

Advertisements