Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Fix “Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Internet Site- Operation

• Please log in to reply

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks I did the first two. I will keep you posted!

Advertisements

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I signed up at a brand new site and I received their confirmation email and the first time I tried to log in as a new member I got the error message! The second time no problem.

Edited by curlypep, 16 May 2008 - 05:42 PM.

XBoy

XBoy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I must appreciate your efforts Metallica, great work.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Are you using some sort of cookie control ?

I'm asking because Yahoo will require a cookie for you to be able to read your mail online and logging in at a new site also requires your cookie to be changed.
So there may be a conflict there.

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have not touched the cookies on either computer and this problem just started happening out of the blue.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. Can you try the third option I posted ( add yahoo.com to your trusted sites)

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It already was when I went in to look. Yesterday all day the only time it happened to me once late at night on one site that I use quite a bit. That was on my laptop. My desktop I only used for about a half hour and it did not happen during that half hour at all.
Thanks again I will you know when it happens.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In the meantime I found this:

http://support.micro....aspx/kb/927917

It explains why you get it on certain websites and why I saw so many Yahoo relatedissues.
Unfortunately the only thing you can do about it, is use another browser or keep trying a few times like you have done sofar.
I wil keep looking and asking to see if there is more we can do.

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a question. I work from home and one of the places I work for gives me assignments throughout the year I just finished up a three week assignment during the assignment they had me disable Java updates. Would that cause a problem? I notices Java was mentioned in the link you sent me even though I did not understand what it was saying.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can try updating to the latest version manually. But why would they want you to stop doing so?
Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.

Advertisements

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Its done. The said the Java updates would interfere with the program I had to run to do the assignments. w
When Java updates ran it would just show a red X instead of my program and it was true I tested it with the Java updates. I have no idea why. I actually usually do little work from my laptop because they frown on you using wireless most of the time depending on what you are doing.

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It just happened to me on Yahoo twice in a row!!

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, In the Microsoft link what is it exactly they are telling me to do? I do not understand what I am suppose to change. I have read it a few times. Some days its happening constantly its driving me crazy.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Basically they are telling you to complain to the website maker or use another browser.

Since the first option will turn out to be quite fruitless, I suggest to try the second one.
I have been a happy Opera user for years but FireFox is another good alternative.
Let me know if you want tor try this and if you need help installing the one of your choice.

Opera: http://www.opera.com/
FireFox: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

curlypep

curlypep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Thanks right before you posted I downloaded Mozilla on my work computer due to the fact for my next job it had to be either IE or Mozilla but maybe I will download Opera on my laptop to try it out!
I just don't understand why it started happening out the blue. This morning I could not even respond to emails!