Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Slow PC

• Please log in to reply

doublexd

doublexd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK I'll trust your advice. Thanks for your help. :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there

Is it normal to have the primary ide channel device 0 selected as dma if available but in pio mode...can this be changed or no? The device 1 is in ultra dma mode 6 and the secondary device 0 is in ultra dma mode 2 device 1 is not applicable.

i tried toggling from pio mode only then back to dma if available but no change

Thanks for any help in advance

Edited by whit023, 25 May 2008 - 10:15 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello whit023...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on Primary IDE channel and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot and Windows will reinstall the channel and any devices assigned to it...you will then be asked to restart your machine...do so.

Check your transfer mode settings again. Are they correct now?

wannabe1

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Excellent...it worked...thanks :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :)

If the settings revert to programmed input/output, it may be indicative of a drive going bad.

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Do you mean if it switches back to PIO mode? Because it did and i just unistalled and let it reinstall again. Is it normal to have both primary device 0 and device 1 on ultra DMA mode 6? In the secondary its on DMA mode 2.

Thanks again in advance

Edited by whit023, 26 May 2008 - 07:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Better keep your backups current.... :)

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
so your saying my drive is failing? if so i will run out and get a new one tommorrow.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What it tells me is that one of the drives on the Primary IDE channel is going down. And fairly quickly by the sounds of it. The Primary channel is where the system drive (Local Disk C:) is installed.

Advertisements

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok then...i have pictures and stuff on this drive...i have it in 3 partitions but if c is going down it probably means the others will be no good as they are the same HD...what backup utility is the best to use when i get a new drive to backup to? After i get the info i am going to shut the comp down and pray to get it backed up before it craps out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I use Acronis Migrate Easy. It's not free, but it's a dandy program. Acronis True Image is another good one that I use.

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok thx...I really appreciate the help and advice :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Luck! :)

whit023

whit023

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Successful backup of all files :) but i couldn't get an image as during the backup it said there was an unreadable area so aborted...

Question....i read somewhere that if you get a freeze or improper shut down of computer it marks the HD where the shutdown took place as a dirty file or file area untill you preform a chkdsk which will then clear the area of it. Could that be part of my problem with it switching to PIO mode as i have a 4 year old that did that coupled with a freeze up or two after that where i had to manual restart and my serious slow downs began.

Ummm when i go to scan my G drive which is a partition of the main drive that contains the C drive it just freezes on stage four of the chkdsk...any suggestions?

I just read in another topic it took someone 2 days to scan there disk....i had waited 2 hrs with no movement on the chkdsk stage 4 of 5 and the light on the front of the computer solid as if working but no hdd sounds so assumed it was froze...will post back after leaving it on all night and see if it advances at all by morning.

Edited by whit023, 29 May 2008 - 01:03 PM.