Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Issues Between XP Home and XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

rivory02

rivory02

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, My college buddies and I have been trying to setup some sort of fileshare through our WIRED Linksys router for some time. There are 4 computers on the network, but for the sake of simplicity, this problem only deals with two:

Computer 1 (Patrick): WinXP Home (service pack 1)
Computer 2 (Raymond) WinXP Pro (service pack 2)

Computer 1 can see Computer 2 and can access all shared files. Computer 2 can SEE Computer 1 but gets the following message when trying to access it: "\\Computer 1 is not accessible...access is denied"

Both computers are using an antivirus program, F-Secure, with built in Firewall but this problem occurs when both firewalls are entirely disabled. Additionally, all windows firewalls are disabled.

In my search for solutions to this problem, I have also enabled netbios. Not luck.

I'm a fairly advanced computer user, so if you need more info I'd be happy to comply. The sharing is not essential, but this problem has become more of an annoyance and blow to my ego than anything else. :tazz:

Thank you.

Advertisements

tire fry

tire fry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all do you have something shared on computer 1? If not do this first.

If that fails try doing it by ip instead of by name //192.168.2.25 substituting your computer 1's ip address with the example I used.

rivory02

rivory02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I've actually got his entire c drive shared just to make sure. Tried to access via IP address with no luck: same error message.

Don't know if this will help: I AM able to successfully ping his IP address.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

First of all do you have something shared on computer 1?  If not do this first.

If that fails try doing it by ip instead of by name //192.168.2.25 substituting your computer 1's ip address with the example I used.

View Post

it's actually

\\192.168.2.25\{sharename}

both PCs, I assume are in the same workgroup?

Simple file sharing enabled on both?

tire fry

tire fry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try enabling the guest account going this route via the cmd line “net user guest /active:yes”. The computer will return a result, ‘command completed successfully’ and a reboot is then required.

I would do this to both systems.