Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware/Spyware Infestation[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
NO. Don't touch the ignore list. If you add them to the ignore list, it will actually NOT show up in the HijackThis scan. This is not good. So if you add a bad one to the ignore list, we will not detect it in the scan (which is not what we want). So don't do anything with the ignorelist.

So what's the status on this now? The log here is clean. Are you still running into any problems?

Advertisements

mike1

mike1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
it appears most is well. installed firefox, sygate person firewall.
only problems I can see right now is ms antispyware no longer loads at start up and sygate personal firewall is too intrusive as evidenced by unable to link to yahoo mail from yahoo main page unless I disablke sygate fw. unbelieveable event. after getting the notebook working I did a google search for "best online virus scan" and chose
http://avgantivirus....line/virus/scan because I saw trandmicro. clicked on the link and it took me a gross [bleep] site and immediately mcafee reported infected files it couldn't delete. booted into safe mode and deleted all ie5 content and ran cleanup.exe. only problem I see that it caused is when I enter test into the google toolbar search function is fonts are too lkarge and only very top of fonts are displayed.

any suggestions for an iunntrusive firewall, get ms antivirus to load at startup?

Mike

Edited by mike1, 01 May 2005 - 11:54 AM.

mike1

mike1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
gh>...it will actually NOT show up in the HijackThis scan. This is not good....

oh, I was hoping it had a fuction to block certain entries. Be nice if hijackthis had a find function.

Thanks for your patience and persistence.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Mike, get rid of Sygate if you still have it. Use ZoneAlarm. Look for the free download link (it's free for personal use). That firewall should be much easier to use and user-friendly than Sygate.

For MS Antispyware, try uninstalling it. Restart and then reinstall it.

mike1

mike1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Will do, ken.

Thanks again,

MIke

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem Mike. You calling me Ken? It's Kevin. :tazz:

Any other problems now before I close this topic?

mike1

mike1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Close this Kevin.

Mike

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.